Fire extinguisher recommendation for a home shop

As a volunteer FF, I can affirm that water is really the way to go. Better yet, buy a compressed air/water extinguisher, and some class-A foam mix, and make a couple percent foam/water solution. The foam causes the water to lose it's surface tension, and it will soak into the wood faster, stopping the spread to unburnt wood faster, and then the water will cool off the fire itself.

These are the only extinguishers we carry. We use dirt for flammable liquids, much easier.

What I can't comment so readily on is the fire cause. Sources I can easily see are:

- sawdust lit by a cigarette or spark from "finding" a nail/screw with a saw

- pile of oily rags in a hot, enclosed shop

- electrical fire (overloaded circuits)

less so:

- flammable liquides/vapors

The first list is mostly handled well by an A extinguisher, but not if electrical is involved. There you either need GFCI (which you probably need in your garage shop in the US anyways after the 1999 NEC, and I'd still have a master switch for the room that kills everything but lights, and hit that before grabbing the extinguisher.

Most fires I've been to have been electrical in origin, or heat caused by faulty wiring/ventilation of something electrical (one propane leak was "fun"). Don't forget that thick sawdust (or plane shavings) + hot lights = fire.

I'd get both. Use the water for non-electric stuff, and the ABC for anything that might be live.

-Aaron

Reply to
Aaron Wood

On Tue, 28 Sep 2004 01:05:58 -0500, Australopithecus scobis calmly ranted:

Heh, it's winter. Put your thick skin back on. That was humor, not an attack. Man, lighten UP. Eez joke, mon.

I used to be somewhat of an environmentalist but I read too much research for that. Liberal scientists tend to insert more fear than reality or science. Please note, that's not my fear.

Hey, that's "Jaques". My other nickname is "C-less". My other brother Jacques Cousteau has a "c" in his first name. (Should I overreact to an ad hominy attack here? I'm cornfused.)

Are you done yet? Good. Now smile. It was the original intention of my post. What the heck got you so worked up, anyway?

Namaste.

  • * Humorous T-shirts Online
  • Norm's Got Strings * Wondrous Website Design
  • *
Larry Jaques

Wetter water, dam good stuff!

If the shop is wired right hitting live electrics with water won't be a problem, if it isn't the power should still go off, just taking out a breaker/fuse further back. As our visiting firemen tell us "in the event hit it with whatever suits, fuse/breakers will open" they've been know to hit a mains incomer with water to take down the supply in a factory as it was thought to be the ignition source!

Reply to
Badger

Putting water on a live wire is a big no-no in our dept, but that might be due to having no idea if the place we're going into is properly wired, as being in a fairly isolated, rural community, people get "creative" in their wiring an building habits.

Reply to
Aaron Wood