Fire extinguisher recommendation for a home shop

Page 2 of 5
Ken Yee wrote:

We had the halon extinguishers at work and the fire inspector made us get rid of them. Apparently a number of people have died from suffocation while using halon extinguishers.
Nova wrote:

If it was a permanently installed system then it was likely a halon-flood system that aims at replacing all the air in a room with halon. CO2 will kill you by the same mechanism. So will nitrogen-flood.

--
--John
"Nova" writes:

Not only that but it is a MAJOR ozone layer problem.
Some industries, which have not yet found an alternative, such as the like North Slope oil well platforms, still use them, but they have little choice; however, if they ever have to use them, the fine will be in the $1,000,000.00 range.
Lew
Lew Hodgett wrote:

On 24 Sep 2004 05:16:37 EDT, Mark and Kim Smith

Yes, but it still doesn't work worth a damn. US Navy advice for a metal fire on an aircraft carrier is to shove the affected aircraft overboard.
--
Smert' spamionam

Ack. 2M airplane? :-P Halotron is being offered by some companies as an alternative to Halon, but it's supposedly not as good...
ken

My guess would be that if there's a metal fire going on, the aircraft is no longer worth $2million :-)
John
John McCoy responds:

Maybe not. Maybe yes. But I'd like to know what kind of military aircraft you can get today for $2 million. Small helicopter or recon plane?
Charlie Self "Half of the American people have never read a newspaper. Half never voted for President. One hopes it is the same half." Gore Vidal

I suspect that a conflagration of a 2M aircraft is much less of a concern to the Navy than a fire on a (what) 40 Billion dollar aircraft carrier. Remember the Forrestal? (http://forrestal.org/fidfacts/page13.htm for those of you who don't)

Not much. The Navy apparently still has some Beech T-44 King Airs. I don't know which exact models these are, but some civilian models can be picked up for about $2 million. You won't see one on an aircraft carrier, though.
Frank Stutzman (someday I'll be able to know enough about woodworking to write about something that isn't OT in this group)
Frank Stutzman writes:

Yeah, well...in 1960, at Kaneohe Bay, my Marine Corps squadron got new HUS-1 helicopters. They were incredibly expensive compred to the ones we were getting rid of (Korean War relics with patched bullet holes included): $750,000 per unit.
Charlie Self "Half of the American people have never read a newspaper. Half never voted for President. One hopes it is the same half." Gore Vidal
So, I wonder if the enviroweenies want to fine the military. Halon is standard in armored vehicles. Has been for over twenty years.

On Sun, 26 Sep 2004 07:33:07 -0700, CW wrote:

Grow up. Halon and other CFCs do, without a doubt, wreck the ozone layer. The ozone layer protects _you_ from skin cancer, among other things. The ozone layer protects oceanic phytoplankton, which produce oxygen for _you_ to breathe. Stop whining about the people who are trying to keep you alive.
--
"Keep your ass behind you"

Enviroweenie. Where's that pesticide?

On Sun, 26 Sep 2004 13:40:51 -0500, Australopithecus scobis

Ozone is created spontaneously in the upper atmosphere by ionizing radiation from the sun acting upon normal oxygen molecules.
Removing the ozone layer requires removing the sun.

hydrocarbons (CFCs) can and do break down ozone, returning it to normal oxygen. The CFCs unfortunately act as catalysts in this reaction, not as reagents, and one CFC molecule can break down many ozone molecules.

And that affects the mechanism of Ozone synthesis how?
And at upper atmospheric temperatures and pressures and concentrations?
[...]

It's a question of rates: Once the destruction rate is bigger than the ozone formation rate the amount of ozone diminuishes, as seen over both poles (where of course the formation rate is lower because there is light is less)
On Mon, 27 Sep 2004 19:06:45 +0200, Juergen Hannappel

n. b. the deafening silence about the ozone thinning these past ten years, even though the panic mongers said we should see continued thinning to worsen for at least twenty years post CFC ban.
On Mon, 27 Sep 2004 17:36:36 GMT, U-CDK_CHARLES\Charles <Charles

Additionally, read here. Note his reliance on actual math and science, and not the assumption that humans are better off extinct:
http://www-formal.stanford.edu/jmc/progress/ozone.html
Since we didn't even know there was an ozone layer 40 years ago it is pretty hard to have any real historical data about the effect of CFCs on it. This is just theoretical chemistry added on to the fact that the original "Freon" patents had expired and Dow wasn't making much money on it. Since the fix is another synthetic chlorinated hydrocarbon we are not really sure whether the cure is better than the original problem. See you in 10-15 years when these patents expire. I bet there is an R134 crisis.
Environmentalism is a cult religoin for those who don't believe in God or Allah. Everyone needs their faith in something they can't see that requires guilt and sacrifice..