Fire Building

Page 2 of 2
On 6/13/2012 8:33 PM, Puckdropper wrote:

I always save the shavings from my hand planes in a bucket and use them to start the fires in my Weber grill. I pile small thin cutoffs on top of those, and so on with cutoffs that gradually increase in size, and I'm off to the races. Works every time.
--
Free bad advice available here.
To reply, eat the taco.

I recall when I was in school the man from the state bureau of mines used to come around and give us a lecture on explosions from normal everyday things, including saw dust. He had a glass tunnel set up. He would set a small flame in the end of it just in front of a container he would fill with some kind of dust, then use a tire pump to blow the dust into the flame and the whole thing would explode. Very entertaining. But it was surprising what all could cause an explosion.
Bill
On 6/13/2012 8:33 PM, Puckdropper wrote:

Having built fires in the fireplace for 30 years, the fastest way to start the fire is to use small shot scraps under the logs and douse with charcoal starter fluid. 1 match later you are done.
Using strictly shop scraps, in particular hard wood scraps which are even more dry than normal fire wood, can lead to a very hot and fast burning fire. I would say that situation could get dangerous quick. DAMHIKT
I often use Walnut scrap, it burns like nothing else. Nice hot fire. The shavings are great fire starters... Dangerous???
Leon, are you joining Lew in the Oh My God territory ???
On 6/14/2012 2:26 PM, Leon wrote:

On 6/14/2012 1:46 PM, tiredofspam wrote:

You guys count your blessings .... when I lived in England some 50 years ago I had to start a coal fire from scratch every night after work, then carry what was left to the upstairs bedroom for the remainder of the night.
AFAIK, a coonass and coal had never before met, but we are resourceful ... when I left after a long cold winter and summer there was a considerable portion of my landlady's fence pickets somehow gone missing.
--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010
On 6/14/2012 1:46 PM, tiredofspam wrote:

I am not talking shavings, I am talking dried solid hard wood scraps and nothing but.

Material like that will burn quite hot and quite quickly. It produces big flames and a lot of light (a side effect) as it burns. Feeding it over time into the fire is a good way to burn it, especially in the early stages of the fire when the main logs haven't lit yet.
Indoor fire places aren't good places to get rid of lots of shop scraps. Outdoor fire pits (not the little patio jobs) are better for something like that, especially if it's safe for the flames to rise several feet over the top of the logs.
Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.

On 6/14/2012 11:20 PM, Puckdropper wrote:

Exactly, I used it mostly 5~7 pieces at a time for helping to start the fire.

Exactly, the flames will to way up the chimney in an indoors fireplace.

On 6/14/2012 11:50 PM, Leon wrote:

Same here Leon, ____I use my walnut offcuts____... The shavings are just great starters... Walnut is a beautiful burning wood. I think from the oils inside. It just glows man.... Clean and hot..

No, No. Real men fill a dish detergent bottle with gasoline and squirt it on the fire trying to see how far up the stream they can maintain a flame without it getting into the plastic bottle!!!
RonB

I had a friend who liked to do this with if parent's trash fires when he was a teenager. It caught up with him and he received some very serious burns. He picked up the name "squirt" which stayed with him much of the rest of his life. He died of cancer a few years ago but always kept a sense humor over that incident.
RonB