Finnform from Woodpeckers

Anyone use Finnform (Phenolic coated finland birch plywood) for router table tops? Seems like a good choice....

Never Enough Money

Guess I should have done a search first -- seems some of you like it some don't (mostly due to costs).

Reply to
Never Enough Money

I surprised I got no responses to this post in 3 days. I guess the answer to my OP is: "none of us have used Finnform for a router table top."

So my next question is: why not? Is it not flat enough, not strong enough, too expensive, never knew it existed, what?

Reply to
Never Enough Money

I used what appears to be the same material from Woodcraft-the outer plies are impregnated with Phenolic resin-giving it a green color and very slick. However-the price is up there, I believe mine were $40 for a 2x4x3/4 pc. There is a 1/16" sag-probably from it being stored incorrectly for a long period of time. (When I picked it up-it was dusty-not saw dusty) So I assume it does not sell all that well. Having said all that-I made two "gussets" or stiffeners that go underneath and have flattened it very nicely. having no problems with it, work slides nicely, apparently will wear like iron-no marks on it as of yet. I sealed the edges of it with shellac and then two coats of epoxy paint-so it should remain stable. If you can get it in sizes bigger then 2x4 I would use it. As everything else in this hobby of ours-there are 1000 problems, then 1000 different solutions by 1000 different people-and everyone of us swears that we have the one and only true solution. better to just do something for yourself, enjoy it and move forward. Good luck in your quest

Reply to
James Main

I just spoke with a Woodpecker's representative. He said that FinnForm is not the best choice for router table tops because of flatness issues (for the tolerances expected in cabinet/furniture making). He'd recommend something thicker and flatter. He said if you use FinnForm, you should have plenty of support fron underneath.

He suggested several options: layering the Finnform, using baltic birch, using the commercial router tops like the one's from Woodpeckers or other manufacturers, etc.

In general I thought he was quite honest and not just trying to make a buck by selling to me. I felt he was concerned about my satisfaction as a customer, which in the end helps him make a buck since I'm likely to sing Woodpeckers' praises in places like rec.woodworking....

Reply to
Never Enough Money