Finishing woes


Yesterday I applied a concoction of 3 stains: 2 Varathane and one Zar, to get the color I needed. My typical procedure is to stain one day, apply sealer the next.
Well...today I sealed the wood with Enduro, applied their clear pore filler, sanded that a tiny bit, and then I used my vacuum with the brush attachment to remove the sanding dust. DAMN! Something was wrong...very wrong. Little brown puddles began forming on the surface of the wood. I took off the vac brush and dragged the bare nozzle across the wood; Yikes! Even more stain was making it's way out of the wood.
I figured it wouldn't be the smartest move on my part to ignore this, so I sanded off the sanding sealer, most of the stain, and will re-stain and wait for god knows long this time, before it's sufficiently dry.
I didn't beat flat rate today...but I learned a valuable lesson. <g>
In the future, I'm betting a reliable test to check for PROPERLY dried stain would be to put the vacuum to the wood.
Dave
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.