Finishing Technique Seen On Festool Video - Why Does He Do It That Way?

In real life, I have only seen 2 sliding barn doors that I recall. One was on a master bedroom entry and the other I stalled on a master bath entry. Personally I do not like them.

Reply to
Leon

The sound problem is the fact that the door does not fit inside a door jam. Sound can go between it and the wall and typically the door hangs out from the wall about 1". In other words sounds coming from that room is not hindered as much as with a normal closed door.

Reply to
Leon

Open windows don't hinder sound very well either.

Earlier this week SWMBO and I were walking the dog at around 10PM. As we walked past a house with open windows we heard a female voice.

Oh my God! Oh my God! Oh my God! Ohhhh......myyyyy......GGGGOOOODDDD!

We assume she was praying.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

I would argue that a bedroom door wouldn't hinder such sounds very well, either. Interior doors are about sight and access (grease the doorknobs), not so much sound.

Reply to
krw

Either way, the doors can often not prohibit sight from curious eyes. The doors can often be pushed away from the wall near the floor with as little effort as opening a regular door if it is not latched. Not all barn door installs, especially when two meet in the middle, have the center floor mounted guide installed, to prevent a tripping hazard.

Great, if you like that look, for any room in the house, but IMHO not for the bedroom or bathroom.

If you do not mind something that is a little better than a shower curtain to provide privacy a barn door may be for you.

Reply to
Leon

A floor mounted guide can be installed on the wall side(s), as well. Both, if need be.

Personally, I'd agree but I can be live others have a different opinion and can visualize places were it makes even more sense. Again, I don't barn doors much differently than pocket doors. They may be the best alternative in certain circumstances, OK in others, and Gawd awful in others. Then there is the issue of installation... ;-)

There is no reason for them to be that bad. After all, barn doors keep cows and chickens in. ;-)

Reply to
krw

I have a situation in my kitchen that a barn door would be the perfect solution to. I have a poorly designed entry from the garage, that enters to laundry, the basement door, the back door, and a kitchen entrance. due to facets in the exterior their is no way to put a pocket door in to kill the noise from the washer and dryer. there's no way to hang a door as it just won't open without causing a problem. The barn door is the perfect solution.

so you are clearly not thinking of EVERY situation, for me, it's the only way to resolve this.

Reply to
woodchucker

Well chicken wire keeps chickens in too. :~)

Reply to
Leon

Hell, boarding it up keeps chickens in, too, but boarding a door up has other issues that aren't so desirable.

Reply to
krw

re: doors that cause problems:

My parents moved into a senior living complex. 2 bedroom apartments, each with their own bathroom. One bedroom had a door that swung 180° to sit flat against the wall. Walkers and wheelchairs can roll right by and into the bathroom.

The other bedroom had a door that only opened 90° before it was stoppe d by the closet wall. When opened 90°, it blocked the entrance to the bathr oom. In addition, that bedroom had the larger bathroom, making it the best one f or someone who needs a walker or a wheelchair or a helper.

Imagine a person with a walker or a wheelchair (or their helper) trying to maneuver their way into the bathroom. Every time you wanted to use the bathroom you had to do the "door dance". Go into room, clear the door, close the door, use the bathroom, come out, clear the door, open the door, etc. That's a pain for a fully-able person, imagine an impaired person having to do that multiple times a day.

Somebody screwed up the design. If they had shortened the closet by about 4 ", the door would have swung fully open just like the other one. It wasn't jus t a case of a bad build in their apartment because every apartment was like that.

We requested (firmly) that the door be replaced with a bifold door that could be opened 180° so it could be left open and up against the wall. My parents were one of the first tenants in this new complex. As the place filled up and my parents started telling others about their bifold doors, the requests started pouring in to the complex manager. I'm sure it ate into their first year's profits.

Reply to
DerbyDad03