Finishing Technique Seen On Festool Video - Why Does He Do It That Way?

Page 3 of 3
On 10/6/2016 4:15 PM, krw wrote:

Well chicken wire keeps chickens in too. :~)

Hell, boarding it up keeps chickens in, too, but boarding a door up has other issues that aren't so desirable.
On 10/6/2016 12:04 AM, Leon wrote:

I have a situation in my kitchen that a barn door would be the perfect solution to. I have a poorly designed entry from the garage, that enters to laundry, the basement door, the back door, and a kitchen entrance. due to facets in the exterior their is no way to put a pocket door in to kill the noise from the washer and dryer. there's no way to hang a door as it just won't open without causing a problem. The barn door is the perfect solution.
so you are clearly not thinking of EVERY situation, for me, it's the only way to resolve this.
--
Jeff

On Thursday, October 6, 2016 at 10:34:12 PM UTC-4, woodchucker wrote:

eryone

ests.

ently

hey

jam.

rom

re: doors that cause problems:
My parents moved into a senior living complex. 2 bedroom apartments, each with their own bathroom. One bedroom had a door that swung 180° to sit flat against the wall. Walkers and wheelchairs can roll right by and into the bathroom.
The other bedroom had a door that only opened 90° before it was stoppe d by the closet wall. When opened 90°, it blocked the entrance to the bathr oom. In addition, that bedroom had the larger bathroom, making it the best one f or someone who needs a walker or a wheelchair or a helper.
Imagine a person with a walker or a wheelchair (or their helper) trying to maneuver their way into the bathroom. Every time you wanted to use the bathroom you had to do the "door dance". Go into room, clear the door, close the door, use the bathroom, come out, clear the door, open the door, etc. That's a pain for a fully-able person, imagine an impaired person having to do that multiple times a day.
Somebody screwed up the design. If they had shortened the closet by about 4 ", the door would have swung fully open just like the other one. It wasn't jus t a case of a bad build in their apartment because every apartment was like that.
We requested (firmly) that the door be replaced with a bifold door that could be opened 180° so it could be left open and up against the wall. My parents were one of the first tenants in this new complex. As the place filled up and my parents started telling others about their bifold doors, the requests started pouring in to the complex manager. I'm sure it ate into their first year's profits.
On Tuesday, October 4, 2016 at 11:51:46 PM UTC-4, krw wrote:

I'm not sure what you consider "often" but an image search for "barn door bathroom" or "barn door bedroom" will bring up a lot of different ways barn doors are used on both.
On Tue, 4 Oct 2016 21:26:25 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03

Never seen that. My wife is an HGTV junky. They've used them for living rooms and kitchens but I've never seen them used on bathrooms. Bedrooms, maybe, in lofts or whatever.
On Wednesday, October 5, 2016 at 10:53:25 AM UTC-4, krw wrote:

As is mine, which means I get a healthy dose of it also. ;-)

Directly from the HGTV website, from bedroom into bathroom. A two-fer!
http://videos.hgtv.com/video/sliding-bathroom-barn-door-0208295
In addition, Jason (of HGTV's Fixer Upper fame) recently removed a pocket door from one part of a house and installed it, barn door style (with exposed hardware) in the bathroom. He surprised both Johanna and the homeowners.
On Wed, 5 Oct 2016 12:15:12 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03

My tablet barfs on the site.

The house I grew up in had pocked doors to the bathroom of the gust room (well, that's what it ended up being after a couple of my brothers moved out). A barn door wouldn't have been any different, though in that case, the hardware may have been more difficult. In any case, I think they make a lot more sense than pocket doors. Yech!
On Wednesday, October 5, 2016 at 3:59:47 PM UTC-4, krw wrote:

Yeah, I had to reload the video numerous times on my iPad. I thought it was my WiFi connection, but it must be a tablet/website compatibility issue.

Access to the exposed barn door hardware sure is easier, but you have to like the industrial look.

In real life, I have only seen 2 sliding barn doors that I recall. One was on a master bedroom entry and the other I stalled on a master bath entry. Personally I do not like them.