Finishing Sanders

Page 1 of 3
My trusty 1993 vintage Makita quarter-sheet finishing sander appears to have died. I would buy the same again but paper changing is kind of tedious and according to one review the current updated model (BO 4552) is even worse.
The Bosch 1297DK looks promising as far as paper changes are concerned and the price is about the same as the Makita.
Is anyone here using the Bosch or have any other recommendations (in the same $50 price range)?
Anything but B&D!
On Nov 6, 12:27 am, snipped-for-privacy@malch.com (Malcolm Hoar) wrote:

I have that Bosch and the paper changing is inded a snap. The dust collection is superb when you use the adaptor, (and that is the only reason I did not buy the PC SpeedBloc.) You have to buy the adaptor. The punch die they give you for making the holes in the paper is useless, so I make up a batch from a pack of paper using a proper hole punch and a hammer. For a quick job, using the supplied dust filter is adequate and easily cleaned. I think I paid $ 49.00 at Lowe's in Port Huron MI for it. I like it MUCH better than any of the half dozen Makitas I have worn out over the years.

Excellent.
Gentlemen, perhaps we can observe a minute of silence out of respect for my old Makita and the years of service (and abuse) it provided without complaint.
Then I'll head off to Lowes to get the Bosch ;-)
Agreed on the Velcro-style paper. However price and availability are an issue and it doesn't work too well if you don't have any (or don't have the right grit for the job).

A thing about paper changing. If your sander does not enable you to change paper in 5 or 6 seconds you need a better sander/method of attaching paper. If you are using a paper that clamps on chances are you are sanding inefficiently. Years ago in automotive trades the PSA and Velcro Style papers were increasing production in the shops because of the efficiency of the sanding. These type papers always attach correctly and make the most of your sander. Clamp on papers simply have more wiggle and tend to loosen causing the sander pad to vibrate behind the paper as the paper simply sticks to the surface you are trying to sand. A good part of the sander motion/energy is wasted. With the direct connection of the papers to the sander using PSA or Velcro, the sander motion is close to 100% efficient.
With that in mind, just about any sander that utilizes the PSA or Velcro style attachment paper will probably be better than a sander that uses clamps to hold the paper. I personally have used the PC SpeedBloc, the one that is bell shaped, since 1989. It too pooped out about 2 years ago and I replaced it with the same. It will clamp paper as the design of this sander has been around for a very long time relatively speaking but it also uses PSA paper.
If you are looking for a design that will last and is comfortable to use for long periods of time the PC SpeedBloc works well. If I replace this sander in the future I'll probably go with a Festool because of the superior dust collection.

All true. PSA can be bothersome when the paper gets overheated and leaves glue and stuff on the sander's pad. Hook & Loop (Velcro) is, for me, THE way to go. Finding that in sheets can be a PITA and then, to convert the Bosch to a hookey pad wouldn't be a big deal if one could find a pad. I don't use it enough to bother. I mentioned that I paid 50 bucks for the Bosch and for that little money, the dust collection with the vacuum adaptor (mind you, hooked up to a Fein Turbo II) is every bit as good as anything Festool could devise....and you know I am a avid Festool user. I just don't sand inside corners that often. I always sand before assembly.

Oddly, I have absolutely no problems with PC PSA paper and 3M PSA paper. I absolutely hate and have 100% problems with Klingspor PSA paper. Had I used Klingspor PSA paper the first time 19 years ago I would have never used PSA paper again. Fortunately I had been using PC and 3M PSA paper for the first 16 years. Again, oddly, I tend to melt the Hook and Loop style pads if I am not careful.
I was working on a project this week when my trusty, old black and decker gave up the ghost. This was a good sander that lasted over thiry years of use. It was of a generation when B&D actually made good tools. It was a half sheet sander. I went out to try and replace it.
No can do. Apparently half sheet sanders have gone the way of the dodo bird. There are plenty of quarter sheet sanders. But almost no half sheet sanders. Creaftsman has a half sheet and a third sheet sander in their lineup. I couldn't find anything else.
I talked to an old tool guy at one shop and he said that the tool companies got tired of selling products that they couldn't sell consumables for them. They make more money off the velcro sanding disks than they ever would off the tool itself.
Somebody at Lowes said that they got so tired of the esculating sanding discs cost that they went out and found an independent supplier. They weren't going to sell the brand name sander consumables any more. Can we say corporate greed?
I haven't replaced the sander yet. I have a Bosch rotary disc sander. I bought some more sandpaper for it. I still miss the half sheet sander. For certain projects, they worked just fine.
Like I told my wife when I got home. I went out to buy a sander and found out that the world changed the rules around without consulting me, AGAIN!! :(
"Lee Michaels" wrote

Whaddaya want expect in a world where you can get the important things, like breast augmentation through the belly button??
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 11/4/07

"Leon" wrote

Hoof and Loop paper??
It must be a Texas thing.
<SG>

I too often depend on the spell checker if it is even working at all. LOL
Too bad it does not read my mind. Make that Hook. LOL

Leon was just horsing around... . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . oh come ON!!!!! A typo like that is like 'Shave & A Haircut' to Roger Rabbit fur crying out loud...
Robatoy wrote:

It's hard to steer him back on topic.

It's what happens when you trot too far off the mane topic.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 11/4/07

Yeah but he just canter resist...
"Malcolm Hoar" wrote in message

"Swingman" wrote:

Yabbut, he's strayed too far. We'll round him up after a bit, withers he wants to or not
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 11/4/07
On Nov 7, 8:43 am, snipped-for-privacy@malch.com (Malcolm Hoar) wrote:

Stoppit you guys, you're going to give me a night mare.

OK .. we'll rein it in ... no horse sense in making an ass out of ourselves.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 11/4/07

Let's hope it isn't furlong.