Finishing reclaimed cherry

Making a new coffee table for the den and found some nice reclaimed cherry I haven't worked with reclaimed wood before and am wondering what those of you who have suggest in the way of finishing. It is pretty rough, so it is going to have a pass or two through the planer. It's a full 1 inch thick and I plan on just getting a decent surface, so I imagine I'll have 7/8 or so when I'm done machining. Finishing thoughts?
Larry
On 10/2/12 8:25 PM, Mike Marlow wrote:

awesome. literally lol'd.
--

-MIKE-

You'll quickly find after a pass or two through the planer that some of the dents and depressions show up really well. You can either keep planing until they're gone, attempt to sand out the area, fill it, or leave it alone.
Other than that, it's no different than the new stuff.
Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.

A beautiful finish for cherry is a hand rubbed oil/poly/wax finish a la Sam Maloof:
http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page 04
Or you can make your own. Here is a cherry/walnut hope chest I used the Rockler product on a few years back:
http://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-qUVTtVxL7Aw/TtEiZJUDf6I/AAAAAAAAI6o/2jhHAo6VtYU/s2048/HC24JPG.jpg
Cherry finished in this manner, gorgeous from the first application, gets richer looking with each passing year.
--
www.ewoodshop.com

On Wednesday, October 3, 2012 6:48:11 AM UTC-5, Swingman wrote:

http://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-qUVTtVxL7Aw/TtEiZJUDf6I/AAAAAAAAI6o/2jhHAo6VtYU/s2048/HC24JPG.jpg
That's a gorgeous piece. I recall reading about Maloof's finish in FWW about 25 years ago and trying a mix of poly/stain on a couple of pieces. The finish was superb. Alas, I've forgotten the ratio of poly to stain. Any help?

Check out Marc's post here:
http://www.thewoodwhisperer.com/articles/make-your-own-oil-varnish-blend /
--
www.ewoodshop.com

Shellac. Amber warms cherry very nicely.