Finishing Question for a Potato/Onion Bin

I am making a potato/onion bin out of knotty pine. What kind of finish would you use inside the bin, if any? Should I seal it with something like polyurathane so the potato juices don't get into the wood, or does that matter?
Thanks,
S.
"samson" wrote:

Fire up your 1" forstner bit and drill lots of holes to insure air circulation.
I'd include a false bottom full of holes to insure air circulation underneath taters.
Couple of coats of poly and your good to go.
BTW, make sure you don't try to keep onions and taters next to each other.
Big mistake.
Have fun.
Lew

Thanks, Lew. Much appreciated.
S.
"samson" wrote:

Another approach.
Go to Home Depot and take a look at the coated wire baskets use in closet storage systems.
Consider using the baskets to hold taters, maple side rails, to allow baskets to slide in/out, attached to pine box.
Again, 3-4 coats of poly on the K/P, wax on the maple.
Have fun.
Lew

Whatsoever thou doest unto one side of a board, thou shalt do unto the other. This is the first and greatest commandment. Otherwise thy board, being differentially treated, shall warp when the humidity changes, causing all manner of evil.
DonkeyHody
samson wrote:

Wouldn't use poly on the inside for fear it would out-gas and flavor the potatoes. Probably would do the same for the onions as well, but who would notice. :-)

Mine has poly and has never been a problem. It is also well ventilated as it should be. I'd wait a week or two so it cures better if concerned.