Finishing Question...

Page 2 of 2

Sonoma - what a great goal to shoot for in skill mastery.
I was in Lake Tahoe a couple of years back after they had just finished "Wooden Boat Week". They had a Chris Craft that was out of the water and was in the process of being lovingly wiped down and prepared for winter storage.
There are dozens of restored Chris Craft boats on the lake at that time, but this one was the show stopper. They told me it is owned by the Lake Tahoe Yacht club, and it is used every year for the Grand Marshal to ride in for every event that requires a marshal.
The boat was varnished mahogany, and the finish looked like poured glass. Every thing about that boat was no less than beautiful. The appointments (and their condition!), the actual wood, the joinery (fit and finish - incredible), and the overall condition of the boat was breathtaking.
They told me it had been about 4+ years or so in professional restoration, and that it had its own warehouse where they hang it up out of the water during storage. I saw it when it was out of the water but not hung up, so I was able to see everything. Sadly, in its display area, I was not allowed closer than 24" to the boat, and no touching.
They told me that was actually a good deal for me as the boat was off limits to just about everyone as that was their flagship.
It was a *real* treat to see that kind of craftsmanship. As Lew noted, there are a lot of wooden boats out there, but this one was the stuff.
Robert
Lew - I like that ... When furniture grows up, it dreams of being good enough to become boat joinery
So here is one for you - BOAT is an acronym for Bring Out Another Thousand
Matt

"Matt" wrote:

------------------------------- You're dating yourself, these days it's more like $10K.<G>
Lew
On 4/5/2010 11:39 PM, Lew Hodgett wrote:

That's too big of a boat!
Here's mine...
http://www.home.earthlink.net/~capri26 /
--

Richard Lamb
http://www.home.earthlink.net/~cavelamb /
On 4/6/2010 1:50 AM, cavelamb > wrote:

Just you wait 'enry 'iggins, just you wait.
I would thin the material to allow a bit more flow out. There should be very little brushing. Apply and "tip off" with very light strokes. Do not hurry. Thin coats with light sanding or steel wool (depending on type of wood) between coats. A box fan with a furnace filter on the intake side pointed away from the project will catch a tremendous amount of dust if you don't have a dust system.
--
______________________________
Keep the whole world singing . . . .
Keep the whole world singing . . . .
rich wrote:

1. Varnish in a clean room to avoid dust - AND/OR - 2. Sand and polish.
--

dadiOH

I will let you in on the secret. It's impossible to apply a varnish/poly with a brush and not end up with bubbles. It just amuses the Cabal to tell stories about different brushes, speed of moving the brush, angle of the brush etc to everyone that asks about this.
Many men gave their lives to obtain this information, pass it on to someone who needs it.
-Kevin