Finishing question...

I have a cabinet door, commercial built, cherry. I wanted to relocate the knob. I took the old one out and made a plug for the hole. But no matter how I try I cannot get the finish to match where this plug is. I'm afraid I sanded too much around it and now it always comes out lighter then the rest of the door. Is there a good way I don't know about to fix this or do I need to shell out $100 for a new one?
--
-Jim

If you want to reply by email its --> ryan at jimryan dot com
The surface of cherry darkens with time. If you sand it, you expose light wood. It will catch up, eventually...
Without seeing it, it is hard to be certain; but I expect I would sand the entire door to make it uniform.
Putting it out in the sun for a couple of days will darken it very quickly.