Finishing Question

Most Wise Woodworkers,
I have a picture frame that I made for a specific purpose and is custom sized. It is coated with three coats of water born poly urethane. It is unstained maple.
Now the Significant Other would like it to be a very dark reddish brown, in the direction of black.
What type of stain would work over the top of the poly urethane?
Joe
Good luck. I guess you could scuff up the poly and see if anything would stick to it, but I doubt it. My best suggestion would be to make another frame. Again, G'luck. Tom >Subject: Finishing Question

Someday, it'll all be over....
more water borne poly. this time add a pigment to the poly. You will now be TONING your project. (Dont' forget to scuff sand with 220 or thereabouts...)
dave
Joseph Schutz wrote:

Good thinking, BAD ! >Subject: Re: Finishing Question

wassamatter, Tom?
dave
Tom wrote:

Yur toast.....
might want to try a glaze instead of a stain, but it'll be pretty tough to replicate the look I think you're after unless you sand it down to wood and start again. Even if you do that, I'd start with a coat of shellac to assure you have a somewhat even surface and to prevent (I hope) blotching of the stain..
Good luck Rob
--

Remove CC for email and please visit our web site:
http://www.robswoodworking.com

no. You really need to reapply water borne poly, with a water soluble colorant added into it. gel stain is for a wood surface; not poly.
dave
Joseph Schutz wrote:

Thanks for the helpful advise.
Joe