Finishing maple dowels

Hi All,
I built a clothes dryer for my wife, (you know the kind that folds up and drops to the floor when you put wet clothes on them) and I am having a hell of a time trying to get the dowels smooth. I haven't used any kind of finish on the wood as I don't want any transfer of colour or finish to transfer to the wet clothes. The dowels are the typical maple ones you can buy at The Home Depot and I have sanded and sanded but as soon as they get wet it raises the grain and I have to start all over again. Any ideas before I turn this project over to the end user? (Who will probably scream the first time she snags her nylons on a rogue wood fibre)
Thanks,
John

hell
can
scream
Maybe a couple small coats of polyurethane on the ends? That should seal them up, provide resistance to moisture and not transfer to clothes once fully dry.
-- Regards,
Dean Bielanowski Editor, Online Tool Reviews http://www.onlinetoolreviews.com Over 60 woodworking product reviews online! ------------------------------------------------------------ Latest 6 Reviews: - Fasco GN-40A Brad Nailer - Taunton's Complete Illustrated Guide to Furniture & Cabinet Construction - Milescraft SignCrafter - Ryobi EMS1830SCL 12" SCMS - Bessey K-Body Clamps - Lumber Wizard Metal Detector

A couple coats on the entire rod I should have said (was thinking of a different design to the one you are probably using).
Raw wood will always raise when exposed to moisture, wood is like a sponge and will absorb whatever moisture it is exposed to. sand the dowls to the desired finish and apply a sanding sealer then light sand again, then apply a coat or two of poly to the finish desired, (Gloss, semi-gloss or satin). you really want a durable water resistant finish on the dowels. go with a satin finish for a more natural look if desired,

and
get

My mother had one of those for many years. It had nothing on it. Just plain old wood and it lasted for 25 years that I know of.
If you want a finish, polyurethane will not bleed.
Why not try Helmsmen?
George

and
get
PVC is what I used. Doesn't raise splinters to catch on stuff, don't really need interior support at 30-36" length, but if you like you can run some regular bullnosed stock through.
We can use the interior moisture in the wintertime.

you