Finishing Koa

The wife wanted a small display box to display some small objects. Took her to a local hardwood store. What wood did she choose for the box?
Koa!
Suddenly, I care alot about the box. Measure 3 times, write it down, go back to the plans and ok before cutting. Dovetails on the corners and the best finish. This wood was expensive.
So, I see alot about using natural danish oil. But, Koa is opened pore.
How far to I sand? 220? 320? I have paper to 1200 if needed.
Do I seal it? With? (Dewaxed shellac?)
Should I coat, dry, wetsand, dry with danish oil?
Peter Davidson
Pete wrote:

Unfortunately. Used to get it air dried from the Big Island (I was in Honolulu) for $0.50 bd.ft. Curly too... ______________

So? So are oak, mahogany, et al. Doesn't mean you can't use oil. _______________

Far enough to remove sanding marks and make it smooth. Personally, the finest I normally use is 240; I stop frequently at 180. ________________

No point, your finish material seals it. ________________

That will work. Several coats of oil are best (drying each first, reapply with fine - 400/600 - wet/dry paper)
--
dadiOH

Sent it through the planer, hand planed it, hand scraped it. Sanded it 180, then 220. I used one coat of General Finishes Seal a Cell, then three or four coats of Arm r Seal. Can't remember how many. I quit when I liked the shine. Can't remember if I used satin or gloss either. But SWMBO was very happy with it. It's a plaque on the bathroom door holding up two bathrobe hooks. Been there almost two years, high moisture environment, still looks great and the grain still shimmers like a Tiger's Eye gemstone. Beautiful wood.