finishing in the cold

A newbie question about staining and varnishing and the temperature.
I am ready to finish a project. My basement shop holds steady at 50F. I plan to use a dye-stain and then polyurethane on read oak.
The can doesn't have much to say about temperature. I assume that drying times will be increased. Any thing else I should watch out for?
Jim
I think you would be OK at 50 degrees F. Dry time will increase, yes. Don't foresee any other problems, JMO Tony D.

drying
Heck thats not nearly as cold as the fellow doing 25 degree dovetails.....mjh

Mike Hide wrote:

Loose a lot of doves that way if'n your not careful.

Read the label directions. 50F is getting "iffy" I think (only know because I'm trying to finish something where ambient temp is 20F on good days and the kero heater is running overtime trying to keep up. Give it a couple of months and it will be too hot for stain or varnish LOL). I think most things want 55F minimum.
You should be able to stain at that temp but give extra time. Ever try water based-poly? When the stain is dry you can actually do the poly with that stuff in the comfort of your living room...not much odor and it dries quick allowing multiple coats in a matter of hours. Just a thought.

50F.
This may not work for poly but.....I have sprayed lacquer for years sometimes in cold weather (-10 cel. and in a garage). I heat the lacquer in warm water and the spray gun pot in warm water. NOTE!!!!! Each finish has a flash point that ignites the finish if the temperature reaches the flash point !!!! so know your product. Also if you can keep the piece that you are working on warm until you finish it, plus keep your finish warm, you should not have any problems...Like I started with, this has worked well for me spraying Lacquer...ADD NOTE - FIND THE FLASH POINT OF YOUR FINISH.