finishing drawers?

Hi,
I am to the point in a nightstand project where I can apply a finish. Is there some preferred treatment for the outside / inside of the drawer? I know the front will follow with the rest of the nightstand, but what about the inside and outside surfaces of the drawer sides, back and bottom?
Judging from most of the furniture in my house, I'm guessing they stay unfinished, but I am not sure about applying some sort of "sealer"? I'm using Watco on the rest of the project.
"Tom" wrote in message

Pretty much your choice. Personally, I prefer to do kitchen drawers with no stain and clear shellac, and my tables and nightstands, etc., with the same finish as the the rest of the piece and/or shellac on the drawer box before I attach the drawer front, which is generally finished like the piece.
With wooden drawer slides, a follow up of periodic waxing with parafin, furniture wax, or candle wax on the sides and runners, works well.
Shellac is hard to beat for drawers, IMO.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 8/29/05
Tom wrote:

Dave
says...

--
BNSF = Build Now, Seep Forever

lgb wrote:

Dave
Tom wrote:

I once used a "recommended" finish for inside drawers, lemon oil.
Damn stuff stank to high heaven, to the point where I tried to mask it by leaving it outdoors in the sun for a few days and then filling it with lavender. I won't be using that stuff again in a hurry.
snipped-for-privacy@codesmiths.com writes:

Is lemon oil analogous to orange oil the oil you get from lemon skins? If so, it's not a finish but a solvent...
On Fri, 02 Sep 2005 12:52:59 +0200, Juergen Hannappel

Vaguely similar, except that it's extracted from lemongrass, not citrus fruit. It's a stronger smell than citrus lemon oil.
For the drawers in the bedroom hall I used Baltic Birch and after a few days my wife complained about her undies absorbing the wood odor. Quick single coat of shellac cured it. Dewaxed is all I use and now Seal Coat gets more use than flakes on hand.

I like using a hot wax mixture, part parrafin, part carnuba, melted in paint thinner and applied hot with a brush. Sinks in, seals againts moisture way better than most finishes (see FWW #64) thereby reducing movement, a good thing in drawers. I've used this finish on the outside of my kitchen cabinets, although it's rubbed out (not easy) and then rubbed with linseed oil to bring up some luster (Don't ask me how this stuff sticks to the wax but there is definately a layer of linseed oil built up). Spills wipe off easy, scratches rub out, and the wooden edging along the counter has lasted 10 years with no water damage....
I also applied laminate to my drawer bottoms (no particle board/melamine allowed) for easy cleaning, and extra strength to the 1/4" ply. (Did all kitchen shelves as well) Steve Jensen Abbotsford B.C. snipped-for-privacy@canada.mortise.com chopping out the mortise. Surfing along at 19200 bps since 95. BBS'ing since 1982 at 300 bps. WW'ing since 1985
Nothing catchy to say, well maybe..... WAKE UP - There are no GODs you fools!