Finishing Cypress

My home is on the east coast of Florida - just south of Daytona Beach - about 1/4 mile from the Atlantic Ocean. The home has covered exterior porches with the ceilings of the porches covered with T&G cypress.
I love the look of the cypress and would like to keep it looking as it does now (the cypress has been in place for about 3 years. I have just given it a light sanding to remove the fingerprints from the workers who installed the cypress.)
What product should I use? A clear stain? A clear penetrating oil? Shellac? Something with UV protection? Specific product recommendations would be appreciated.
Thanks.
gary Ponce Inlet, FL

I have a link on my website on Cypress finishing. http://www.nokeswoodworks.com/outdoorinfro.html Randy
Randy, I'snt there a variety of cypress that does not hold up as well and needs something special done. I lived in Louisiana for 20 years and seem to remember something abt that.
wrote:

I have a link on my website on Cypress finishing. http://www.nokeswoodworks.com/outdoorinfro.html Randy

http://www.fpl.fs.fed.us/documnts/usda/amwood/218baldc.pdf I only know of one type of cypress, Here is a web site from the usda on bald cypress
bob kater wrote:

It's the old story, how much do you want to pay to save how much effort. Easy thing to do is let it turn gray. If you want to keep some color to it it gets down to oiling it every few months or varnishing it annually or spending big bucks for a 2K exterior or marine clear finish.
--John

If you are up to it, Helmsman poly will hold up a few years and has UV protection. Once you poly you'll have to do it again.
Penofin oil has UV protection also. I've had very good results with it for a few years now.

penofin aint cheap but it does the job and goes on easy
On Sun, 9 Mar 2008 11:02:34 -0700 (PDT), beecrofter

I use
http://www.flood.com/Flood/Products/Exterior/FinishersForExteriorWood/CWF+Product+Page.htm
for my outdoor redwood chairs. It darkens the wood a little, provides some UV protection and I re-apply a fresh coat every 2-3 years.
It will work a few different ways.
(1) Oil/water based exterior stain will work for a few years. Will have to repeated with good success.
(2) Clear exterior marine type finish will work for a couple of years. Will have to be redone will variable success.
(3) Latex paint will last "several" years.
In my opinion, there is "NO" clear exterior finish that work much longer than a year or two.
Either paint it or leave it alone and let it weather to grey.