Finishing compatability question

All, I'm finishing up a corner shelf that fits on top of a desk for a buddy at work. Construction is 3/4 birch ply with 2" Poplar edging. He would like it stained to match a (faux) teak desk. I just put on a coat of Minwax water based sealer and realize I may have limited my stain options. The can indicated "use a Minwax water based stain". I'm sure the Minwax part is marketing but can I use an oil based stain over this finish? I assume I'll use poly over that for the durability he's looking for.

"Before the Norm related slap poly on it" flames MY project for the wife and me are two new Arts and Crafts style cherry nightstands with Garnet shellac finishes :)

Allen Catonsville, MD

Reply to
Allen Epps

appended: