Finishing Choices Info (tongue firmly in cheek)

Part of The Pointy Stick Compendium Project, this information about some of the finishes available may be of interest to some in this group - or not
http://home.comcast.net/~charliebcz/PointyStick/PSfinishing.html
charlie b
"charlie b" wrote in message

The PSCP is still missing one of the most functional/self-gratifying pointy sticks devised by mankind:
http://www.e-woodshop.net/images/PointyStick10.JPG
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 5/6/06
Swingman wrote:

Of the three variations of The Pointy Stick shown in your referenced photo, I'm assuming you're referring to the Mutliple Points Pointy Stick.
Would you like it to be included in the Contributed Pointy Sticks sections of the PSCP - with "Contributed by Swingman" of course (one law suit is enough for me)? And what title would best describe this clever variation of The Pointy Stick? PointyStick10 doesn't do justice to such a utilitarian tool which eliminates the need to find a tree of adequate size, with sufficiently rough bark, to accomplish the task this device offers - in a small form factor, apparently portable, AND batteryless. Is there some sort of solar panel on the back of this thing or is it purely a Neander tool?
Do you have a measured drawering of the piece and/or instructions/ hints as to its fabrication?
Is there a particular type of wood best suited to making this specialized multi-pointed stick?
There does not appear to be any finish on the object. How will you protect it from dirt, grime and grease? What about UV protection or is it strictly for indoor use?
If a finish is to be applied, how will you finish the tips of the multiple pointy stick components without dulling the points?
Can the points be resharpened and if so - what method would you recomend?
charlie b
charlie b wrote:

You continue to amaze me, Charlie. This time it's your cogent prose after a night of gargling cognac and shellac.
er
--
email not valid

Enoch Root wrote:

After you've reviewed and prepared written comments on several thousand Environmental Impact Reports it's all too easy to write that way - with or without cognac. You wouldn't believe the vocabulary you pick up. Extant is not a word one encounters often - but one EIR author managed to work it into his Background and History section - referring to an old railroad track - "This extant track was built in 1870 to provide service to the Del Monte canning facility."
Extant describes something that is very old yet still around, as opposed to extinct.
Then there's "interstice" - think graph paper - where the lines come together is their "interstice".
As for cognac, I actually prefer using scotch for my viscosity cup testing - Chivas or Pinch H&H, though Cutty Black Label will do in a pinch - or maybe Jack D if the others arent' avail- able. No Bottom of The Bird Cage Tongue the next day.
charlie b
charlie b wrote:

Interesting. I am familiar with the word, but understand it to mean a space (usually small) between objects. The online dictionaries all seem to confirm this definition.
Chris
Chris Friesen wrote:

In biology, as well: interstitial membranes provide a support structure and demarcation between cell-types and organ tissues.
And in computing: Some languages are described as "glue languages", that bind together disparate domains of computing such as HTTP and database.
And in life: Some among us live within the interstitia, providing a bridge between knowledge specializations like biology and computing, like machinery and cabinetry. :)
er
--
email not valid

"charlie b" wrote in message

The inspirational one ... yes! The minute you see it, you know exactly what to do with it.

So my lawyers did contact your lawyers about my patented "Marking Pointy Stick", which is not credited on your site, except to some light fingered searcher of web sites? Hmmm ... I was wondering where that bill came from, and the check for 2 1/2 cents.

Howz about: Stick, pointy, intuitive, 1 each? ... oops, too much military training.

Au contraire ... it is finished with shellac, in solution, using the finest available cognac.

All the above ...
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 5/6/06
Swingman wrote:

I'm afraid there's been an over payment. You were only to receive my TWO cents. Please remit the 1/2 cent at your earliest convenience. I will inform my Accouting Department of the overpayment. I suspect the error was done by a new hire my Personell Department assures me is a LEGAL immigrant. She probably rounded to the nearest half unit when converting from her native currency to US dollars and cents.

Close - but if it were military it would be Stick, Pointy, Intuitive, Individual, OD in Color, 1 each
It is an excellent example of a tool with "low cognititive friction" The tool, its use, and its intended results are obvious - as opposed to the Leigh Dovetail jig or its expensive cousin the Leigh FMT.

I sure wish I hadn't inadvertently let my Secret Shellac Formulation slip out. Doesn't change the look of the resulting finish - but applying it sure is more fun - to a point (no pointy stick pun intended)
I still would like to include your new use for Pointy Sticks in the Pointy Stick Compendium Project but am extremely hesitant to do so without your permission, preferably in writing - and perhaps notarized by a certified Notary. (legal Department is pushing for a notarized signature - are all lawyers paranoid?)
charlie b
"charlie b" wrote in message

The check is indeed in the mail ...

I understand your pain ... but just get who/whomever/whatever signed for the "Marker Pointy Stick" to sign and we won't have to hire no paranoid lawyers cuz that case has already been abjudicated/settled/paidup ... as soon as the mail gets there, that is.
... and keep that camel's nose out from under the tent.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 5/6/06

Dave