Finishing cherry plywood

I've finished hardwood plywood with polyurathane, but that was really just to act more as a sealer for a storage cabinet in the garage.
Now I'm considering building a home-entertainment center. I'm not sure what wood will be, but I'm pretty sure I'll use plywood for a multitude of reasons.
What finishes can I use, and what finishes should I avoid? Are there any books on the subject of finishing plywood.
Thanks, Roger
--
JRogerAlfred

Flexner's book is the Bible.

You can use: Latex paint Spray enamel Varnish oil Polyurethane BLO Tung oil Danish oil
Avoid: Latex Driveway sealer

Yeah, it really stinks up the house.
--
Bob