Finishing Cherry: Choices

I am making a cherry framed clock. I want the cherry to age naturally: no stain.
Previously, I have used amber shellac on raw cherry and have been pleased with the results.
But (there's always a "But"), was wondering if either cut boiled linseed oil or poly urethane would also give me a pleasing result.
I do want the wood to darken (naturally) with age and therefore, do not want the finish to interfere with the process.
Thoughts? Bill Waller New Eagle, PA
snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net

Depends on what pleases you. I've used both with good results.

the rest. It looks fine.
3 coats of waterlox of Watco danish oil is hard to beat, IMO.
The BLO or poly will have fairly different end results.
I built the cherry Shaker clock featured in Fine Woodworking a couple of years ago. Christian Becksvoort said to use Tried and True Original on it, which I did, and the color is coming along beautifully. There is little surface build, even with a wax topcoating.
If you want more of a surface build, the Waterlox suggestion is a good, simple one.
Patriarch
Since a clock doesn't have any need for serious protection like a kitchen table or flooring I would use something easy like "natural" Danish Oil (Watco). This will highlight the coloring, allow it to darken, and is very easy to maintain.
TWS
For a project like this that doesn't get much abuse (if any), cherry begs for oil followed by shellac. Wipe it down with oil first. Tung oil is nice because it pops the grain without the yellowing effect that boiled linseed oil can have. Tried & True polymerized linseed oil is a good second choice. That said, boiled linseed oil works well, but again, can have a slight yellowing effect over time.
Follow the oil with shellac. If you like the look that amber gives, that's fine. I use blonde. As you know, the sun will provide the natural darkening.
Nothing pops and highlights the grain of cherry like oil and shellac. I like products like Watco and Waterlox (for different purposes), but they don't bring out the same look in cherry.
Try it out on some of your scraps.
~Jeff in Memphis