finishing cabinet panel door

I was just at my sister's house and they had some great looking new custom cabinets with flat panel doors made by a local guy -- except in a door on a large pantry cabinet the panel had moved and I could see unfinished areas on the panel.

Is there a trick to staining/finishing the panel so when it moves around you don't see any unfinished surface? Do you finish the panel before assembly -- or, at least stain it first?

I ask because some cabinet doors are on my todo list. Thanks.

Reply to
Igor

I finished all my panels before assembling the door. The panel should have a small amount of movement so that it is loosely held in place.

Reply to
Phisherman

I prestain before assembly... If you do this before cutting the 4 x 8 sheet, you may have a sore back before you get done.. ;~) I prefer small surfaces...

Reply to
Leon

You can stain only or stain and apply first finish coat before assembly. I have done both and they both work okay. However, I prefer to put one coat of finish first. It is easier to clean off dust and any stray glue during the glue up.

Reply to
Preston Andreas

Are you talking about just the panel or all of the parts before assembly?

Reply to
Igor

"irregularities"? Surely you jest!

Thanks.