Finishing birch counter top

I am about to finish my new solid birch kitchen counter top. My goals are to protect the wood from daily use and to preserve the birch's natural light colour. Will a boiled linseed oil and turpentine mix be a good solution? Will his give the colour of unfinished birch?

Thanks from Oslo, Norway.

- Elling

Reply to
Elling

protect the wood from daily use and to preserve the birch's natural light

give the colour of unfinished birch?

My personal opinion is that wood with any finish is a lousy top for a working kitchen counter top, but,live and let live.

Turpentine wouldn't really be necessary with the boiled linseed oil but the thinning would probably help in the absorption of the oil by the wood.

As for protection, well, on the up side is the fact it will be easy to renew by simply adding a refresher coat now and again. I'd keep the top well and frequently waxed with a good paste wax also.

Good luck

Reply to
MikeG

Boiled linseed oil will give the birch a bit of an amber tone and it will not provide very much protection at all. If it's used as a working surface (i.e. as a cutting board) then regular application of mineral oil will help maintain the wood. If the surface is going to be used as a regular countertop (no cutting), then most water-based poly or urethane type finishes will provide protection and maintain the natural colour of the wood.

Reply to
mp