finishing birch??

Need advice on finishing a birch cabinet. I would like it dark. Any suggestions. How about Watco oil? I understand that is easy to apply. Will it show splochy on birch?

Thanks Lyle

Reply to
LYLE MOYER

test on scrap and see.

birch is infamous for blotch, so the odds are against it working well without using a conditioner first. if you want to really be sure, the sequence will be something like: sealer sand sealer glaze topcoat sand topcoat.

Reply to
bridger

Reply to
LYLE MOYER

test on scrap

go here:

start reading.

Reply to
bridger

It's not dark, I finished some baltic birch ply with straight Polyurethane gel varnish. It looks great - the poly kind of gives the wood some 3D texture and a nice warmth. If you want dark next time, try starting with walnut or stained oak. I've read that gel stains reduce blotchiness, but I haven't used them on anything other than oak. Good luck, Andy

Reply to
Andy

I've had good luck applying Watco natural to birch by wiping the piece with mineral spirits before each coat. But I don't know how that would work with a pigmented Wato.

Reply to
lgb

Reply to
JGS