finishing birch??

Need advice on finishing a birch cabinet. I would like it dark. Any suggestions. How about Watco oil? I understand that is easy to apply. Will it show splochy on birch?
Thanks Lyle

test on scrap and see.
birch is infamous for blotch, so the odds are against it working well without using a conditioner first. if you want to really be sure, the sequence will be something like: sealer sand sealer glaze topcoat sand topcoat.
I was going to use miniwax wood conditioner. Will this work as sealer? Lyle

test on scrap <G>
go here: http://www.homesteadfinishing.com/phpBB2/portal.php and start reading.
It's not dark, I finished some baltic birch ply with straight Polyurethane gel varnish. It looks great - the poly kind of gives the wood some 3D texture and a nice warmth. If you want dark next time, try starting with walnut or stained oak. I've read that gel stains reduce blotchiness, but I haven't used them on anything other than oak. Good luck, Andy
That's about how I would do it. For the sealer I would use Zinsser's DEWAXED Seal Coat Shellac. I only sand after the two light coats. LM., the Glaze is the stain. Worth a trip the the library or store to read up on the technique. Suggest Jeff Jewitt, Bob Flexner or Michael Dresdner as authors. Good Luck, JG
snipped-for-privacy@all.costs wrote:

I've had good luck applying Watco natural to birch by wiping the piece with mineral spirits before each coat. But I don't know how that would work with a pigmented Wato.
--
BNSF = Build Now, Seep Forever