Finishing Adriondack Chair

I recently finished building an Adriondack chair using oak wood and am wondering how to best finish it. It will be outside and, of course, I am looking for a low maintenance finish. I was wondering about using a clear house stain or something similar.
Any advice and suggestions would be most appreciated.
Thank,
Larry
if you used white oak you don't need any finish at all

"real" adriondack chairs were painted. Usually white. Since you went throug the trouble using oak you probably don't want to do that. White oak is rot resistant so a finish isn't absolutly necessary. Nothing or throw a few coats of poly on it.
I'm not sure about this and maybe others can chime in, but maybe a product like Thompsons water seal?
Only one I've heard say anything good about Thompsons was my SIL as it was already paid for. Cabot makes transparent stains that need reapplication every 3-4 years.
On 05 Mar 2004 02:18:34 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (GBsCards) wrote:

Or cypress, or redwood, or Ipe
John
On Fri, 05 Mar 2004 01:08:50 GMT, "Mike in Mystic"

YEAH.. get some Thompsons LIKE? sealer Product with some UV inhibitors.. Call it good.
--
Gregory Jensen
1990 Heritage

We chose to use a Sikkens product. Very happy with the results. Cheers, JG
"L. Wiederholt" wrote:

Around these parts Cetol is considered to be the most durable outdoor finish. One of the most expensive, too. But expense is only relative in the short term. Last year in a fit of cheapness I put some Home Depot brand outdoor finish on some newly built outdoor furniture. Now it's a mess, and I'm going to have to strip it all off and refinish again.
I'll be using Cetol this time, and because it lasts quite bit longer, the extra materials cost works out to less over a period of time, not to mention the labour of having to reapply the cheapo finishes on a yearly basis.

I made a set of Adriondack chairs 2 years ago, using cypress. Any "rot-resistant" wood will discolor to some shade of gray. I don't like gray wood, so I finsihed it with several coats of "Outdoor Oil" by GF (General Finishes). I bought one quart at Woodcraft for $10.99, and that was enough for 2 chairs. After 2 years of Idaho sun/rain/snow they still look good, though I plan to re-coat this spring.
The back of the can reads, "Outdoor Oil is specially formulated for all outdoor wood projects . . . has twice the oil and resin content as other brands . . . contains UV inhibitors, heat stabilizers and mildew prohibitors . . ."
Cheers,
Scott