Finishing a new bathroom cabinet

I just finished making a bathroom cabinet. Construction is birch ply panels with poplar for trim work. SWMBO wants it painted to sort of complement the floor tile. Are there any paints that are particularly good for this. I prefer water based and will spray with a 4 stage turbine. How about paint with a couple of coats of lacquer on top? Somebody on the rec suggested milk paint in an earlier discussion.
Len
snipped-for-privacy@uiuc.edu wrote:

Lacquer will eat the paint. Use poly on top of the paint; water base if you don't want the slight yellow from oil base. IMO, it would be simpler to use oil base paint from the git-go and skip the poly.
--

dadiOH
____________________________

I don't see the original post.
It's the 21st Century. "Waterborne" and "water-based" are not the same and there are many waterborne finishes that hold up fine when exposed to water. In fact some modern automotive finishes are waterborne. So no real need for oil based paint.
Pick a good brand of waterborne polyurethane and shoot that and you're done. No topcoat needed.
Or since he's set up with a good spray rig and can handle lacquer without gassing himself or blowing the place up, a precatalyzed lacquer would be another good option.
M. L. Campbell has both. And compatible topcoats and primers.
On 10/25/2010 10:18 AM, dadiOH wrote:

Nor is lacquer (the regular nitrocellulose variety) the greatest choice for wet environments like a bathroom.
--
See Nad. See Nad go. Go Nad!
To reply, eat the taco.

FWIW, I've seen some others comment that with an oil based paint, there is no reason to topcoat with poly or whatever.
Agreed, but I can say that I've done some clear topcoat over paint and there is a distinctly different look, that I happen to like. However I used shellac, not poly, which is probably not the best choice in a bathroom. Try it first with a sample to see what you think.

While you may prefer water based I strongly suggest an alkyd oil based paint. Water based tends to soften up in a warm humid environment like a bathroom.

Once again, I agree with Leon.
If you are willing to spray lacquer, water or solvent based, just spray the alkyd and be done with it. A prime coat of BIN, the two of oil based gloss/semi gloss enamel and you will have a finish that should last 20 years in a bathroom.
And you can easily get the color you want, too.
Robert
@swbell.dotnet says...

Latex will. Waterborne polyurethane is a different story.