Finishing a Hammock Stand

I made a beefy, douglas fir hammock stand that could support an elephant. I've sanded it, and it's ready for finish.
I'm looking for suggestions as to the type of finish and how to apply it (I'm a beginning WWer and total novice finisher).
Thanks! Jamie
Pitiful attempt to get a reply to my sad, old, lonely thread.
Suggestions anyone? (At least tell me to get bent, so I know the post went through. :)
Thanks (again), Jamie
On Mon, 11 Aug 2003 17:20:57 -0400, Jamie Jackson

Use almost any Sikkens deck product you can find. It will stand up to outdoor use, it's popular with sign painter types at ski resorts.

Consider using exterior Penofin in the shade you find pleasing. The stores that carry it should also have some wood samples are already stained / finished so you can get a feel for what your project will look like. Just follow the directions.
Good Luck.