Finishing

A friend of mine has a table he wants to finish, in semi gloss polyurethane. He has about 3/4 gallons ea. of satin and gloss both the same brand. Rather than spend the money for semi-gloss and have more unused material. He asked if he could mix the two and come up with something in the middle of gloss and satin. It sounds possible, but I have no experience with such a mix. Has anyone done this before?

Reply to
Art Lindquist

Probably be fine--just take a sample of each and try it on similar piece of scrap wood before committing to the project.

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

It is. The only thing that makes one sheen different from another is the amount of flatting agent added to glossy...which is the sheen at which varnishes start life.

-- dadiOH ____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06... ...a help file of info about MP3s, recording from LP/cassette and tips & tricks on this and that. Get it at

dadiOH

Sure.

Just make sure that the satin is well mixed before mixing it with gloss. The stuff that makes it flatter can settle.

-Steve

Reply to
Stephen M

stir them both, mix and stir again, and apply the finish to a sample board. review the DRY finish and decide if the result is pleasing.

I mix sheens of the same brand (waterbornes) occasionally. works fine.

Dave

Reply to
David

In most cases it is just ultra fine silica.

In fact, Sikkens (I am sure there are others) offer a 'matting agent' for their ultra high gloss acrylic lacquers. It gives you infinite control over the sheen, providing you measure carefully and keep track so you can repeat finishes.

In a pinch, I have skimmed some off the upper layer of a dormant can of satin poly (neither shaken nor stirred) to do a quick high-gloss touch-up.

Reply to
Robatoy

Reply to
nospambob

You always want to test, but I haven't had any problem with old polyurethane. I currently have a part gallon that is at least 10 years old but possibly 15 year old. I used it recently. It was kind of lumpy but became smooth with stirring and a little thining. Setting was no problem, as I always add a dryer.

In fact, I have a quart can, (little dab in the bottom with a 1/16" thick hard skim and liquid was lumpy and thick), that I used 2 days ago on a board. It was a little slow in drying (about 1 day, instead of 6 hours) but otherwise ok. The can still has a sales tag from a store that went out of business over 15 years ago. About time to retire that can.

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

Should work, except it won't make semi-gloss. Satin is already half way between semigloss and matte. mixing matte and glossy would make semigloss. So it should be fine, just a bit shinier than semigloss. Maybe counteract by adding more satin than glossy. Experiment.

Reply to
woodworker88