Finishing

A friend of mine has a table he wants to finish, in semi gloss polyurethane. He has about 3/4 gallons ea. of satin and gloss both the same brand. Rather than spend the money for semi-gloss and have more unused material. He asked if he could mix the two and come up with something in the middle of gloss and satin. It sounds possible, but I have no experience with such a mix. Has anyone done this before?
Art Lindquist wrote:

Probably be fine--just take a sample of each and try it on similar piece of scrap wood before committing to the project.
Art Lindquist wrote:

It is. The only thing that makes one sheen different from another is the amount of flatting agent added to glossy...which is the sheen at which varnishes start life.
-- dadiOH ____________________________
Sure.
Just make sure that the satin is well mixed before mixing it with gloss. The stuff that makes it flatter can settle.
-Steve

In most cases it is just ultra fine silica.
In fact, Sikkens (I am sure there are others) offer a 'matting agent' for their ultra high gloss acrylic lacquers. It gives you infinite control over the sheen, providing you measure carefully and keep track so you can repeat finishes.
In a pinch, I have skimmed some off the upper layer of a dormant can of satin poly (neither shaken nor stirred) to do a quick high-gloss touch-up.
Art Lindquist wrote:

stir them both, mix and stir again, and apply the finish to a sample board. review the DRY finish and decide if the result is pleasing.
I mix sheens of the same brand (waterbornes) occasionally. works fine.
Dave
Suggest check with maker of the brand for shelf life issues. Usually a made on date code on the can for reference.
On Tue, 16 Aug 2005 08:09:59 -0500, "Art Lindquist"

nospambob wrote:

You always want to test, but I haven't had any problem with old polyurethane. I currently have a part gallon that is at least 10 years old but possibly 15 year old. I used it recently. It was kind of lumpy but became smooth with stirring and a little thining. Setting was no problem, as I always add a dryer.
In fact, I have a quart can, (little dab in the bottom with a 1/16" thick hard skim and liquid was lumpy and thick), that I used 2 days ago on a board. It was a little slow in drying (about 1 day, instead of 6 hours) but otherwise ok. The can still has a sales tag from a store that went out of business over 15 years ago. About time to retire that can.
Should work, except it won't make semi-gloss. Satin is already half way between semigloss and matte. mixing matte and glossy would make semigloss. So it should be fine, just a bit shinier than semigloss. Maybe counteract by adding more satin than glossy. Experiment.