Finishing

Hi all, I was wondering if anyones got opinions on a Minwax product called Woodsheens, specifically the natural tint.

The project is an oak cabinet/desk using veneer plywood and solid trim.

I'm relatively new to fine woodworking (ie no paint and bondo) and am looking for a quick and easy finish (I can just see everyone rolling their eyes.) I don't mind slightly muting the grain (once again I apoligize if that is offensive) but I don't want the blotches and dark spots I'll get with polyshades when I try to do the details.

Also, this will be finished in the house, not the shop since its 100+ degrees in the shop, so neat and clean are a priority.

Thanks,

Matt

Reply to
mattb

Quick easy natural wood look in Satin or Gloss. Go with Minwax wipe on poly. Wipe a thin coat on with a rag, when dry, light sand, tack rag and repeat. Each coat dries in two hours. Build up as many coats as necessary to get the smoothness you want.

I went 4 coats on Red Oak which was only sanded to 120 grit. It's nice and smooth, but you can still feel the wood grain "I like it - you know it's real". Want it perfectly smooth, give it more sanding and an extra coat or two..

Try a sample and see what you think. Best way to know if you like it. If it needs to be smoother - then you need to fill the pores in the wood first.

Regardless, testing your chosen finish on a sample piece of stock and make any changes now, it is a lot less expensive than testing on your desk.

Wipe on Poly is a solvent based product. But there is hardly any smell. I don't find it any worse than water based products.

Pat

Reply to
SawDust