Finished this weekend

Here are a couple of projects I finished this weekend:

also posted a couple of pics of the table over at a.b.p. woodworking with a question: Does anyone have a method of toning down light sapwood in a mostly-heartwood board?

Reply to
Charlie M. 1958

Mortimer Schnerd, RN

Charlie M' When I saw just the closed box, I thought it must hold the Hope Diamond. Its a bit beautiful for bits.

Joe G

Reply to
GROVER

Funny story, Swingman.....after trying a couple things and not liking the results, I decided to convince myself that the color variation was a "feature" of the wood. As a few days went by working on the project in my spare time, I began to like the way the sapwood looked mixed into the heartwood, and I decided I really had been too critical at first.

Then, when it was finished, I called in SWMBO for her final approval. Her first comment: "Oh , that's pretty!" Second comment: "Why is that wood kinda funky looking?"

Oh well.

Reply to
Charlie M. 1958

even nicer than Rob Lee's! No brass inserts??

I could not help but wonder. Does the contents of this routerbit case cost more than is what in the wife's jewelry box?

Also, if the router bit case is this nice, what does the shop bench look like?

Reply to
Lee Michaels

I was REALLY looking close at those brass inserts from Lee Valley. LOL!

The wife doesn't blink an eye if I give her a $500 bracelet, but just let me try buying $500 worth of router bits and see what happens!

Actually, a nice bench is something I'd like to tackle one day. My current one is just of the general 2 x 4 construction workshop variety, with a cheapo woodworking vise stuck onto one end.

Reply to
Charlie M. 1958

from the referenced web page

Let's see. Cherry & Spalted maple? All brass hardware Half blind dovetails Nice finish Units stack snuggly Pieces will never leave the shop

Nope - no going overboard herem on this Shop Furniture Project.

AND now you can do a silver chest since most of the design work and process has been worked out in your prototype.

Nice stuff.

charlie b

Reply to
charlieb

Actually, I thought the picture of the _open_ case would reveal the family jewels ... but, nice solid gold "display" router bits in that box!! ;)

I learned to generally try to make it a feature and highly visible, front and center, instead of dulling up a walnut finish trying to hide it.

Seems the more you try to hide it, the less satisfying the end results is.

Reply to
Swingman

And I have cought flack for using some curly maple for some of my shop cabinets? LOL.

Reply to
Neillarson

Wow. Charlie. Talk about nice work. I like the table - but the box everyone is talking about here is gorgeous. Really nice design and choice of woods to highlight it.

Personally, I like the kind of contrast that certain sapwood patterns provide. I am not >>personally

Reply to
nailshooter41

... It probably sounds harder than it is. If I have good color tones with

Thanks a lot, Robert. It does sound a bit complicated, but I'm printing your response to try it at some point in the future when the need arises again.

Reply to
Charlie M. 1958

Anytime. I tried to give a detailed explanation so that if you did try it, you would have all you needed. I wasn't trying to scare you... I should have said, "So easy a caveman could do it!".

Don't let the details throw you off.

If you get in a bind, ping me on this NG.

Keep posting your projects. They look great.

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

Nice!

I made a wheel chock this weekend. I'll spare the photos.

Reply to
B A R R Y

Boy those are some very lucky router bits....Mine get a cruel particle board drawer in a cabinet.

Nice job on both......

Reply to
Allen Roy

I'm constantly in awe of the things I see here. Beautiful work.

There are times when I hesitate to click on links because I know I'll see things I will never have the skills to do, but click anyway and I'm never disappointed.

Tanus

Reply to
Tanus

Very nice. You must be *very* bored to spend that much effort on a box for router bits (or you prize those bits highly).

Looks very nice

Mark & Juanita

Hell, I'm a rookie compared to most of the folks here. Trust me, you can do anything a ten-thumbed guy like me with cheap tools can do!

Reply to
Charlie M. 1958

things I will never have the skills to do, but >click anyway and I'm

You don't know that. When this group is working right, we are learning from each other. I think you should always look, and always see projects you would like to try yourself. You learn by doing - if you are just getting started, you actually don't know how good you will be when you zenith.

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

Right on!

Reply to
B A R R Y

things I will never have the skills to do, but >click anyway and I'm

Agreed Robert. That's why I said I hesitate.

And Charlie, you're not ten thumbs by any stretch.

Tanus

Reply to
Tanus