Finished it today. (Last kitchen)

Page 1 of 2

No more after this. As a favour to Angela's bestest friend (and here I thought that was me) I got involved with this project and saw it to its completion. Monday I installed the corbels in the island as I was going over my limit of granite overhang. Today I stuck in the 525 pound granite island, mounted the sinks and seamed the quartz on the L-shape.
http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o290/Robatoy/lastKitchen.jpg
All my orders are filled, just taking cnc projects from now on. I might take on a vanity or something challenging.
Then I am going to try my hand at some of these designs...damn they make beautiful things:
http://www.greendesigns.com/index.html

Nice. That Series 2 stuff reminds me of Bhutanese architecture.
Max

Thankee, Max!
I love that style. Nicest look I have seen in a long time. It can even co-exist with Mission/Metropolitan styles, imho.

Or a New Age meets Craftsman.
One of my favorites: http://www.furnituremaker.com /
-- Some people hear voices. Some see invisible people. Others have no imagination whatsoever.

He is amazing. A little bizzy for my tastes, but beautiful stuff still.
Maybe he's related to Neil. (who was in town, yes Sarnia, recently and proceeded to blow 22,000 people away.)

Really nice guy too. Offers lots of classes at other peoples facilities and shares all of his knowledge and secrets.

Can also buy plans of some of his designs from that guy who sells plans and has a contest every year with a Griz TS as the grand prize.
On 9/22/10 3:59 PM, Robatoy wrote:

If someone told me they were going to make a black kitchen island, I would make a very funny face. Having seen yours, my preconception goes right down that drain in its corner.
Beautiful work, my friend.
--

-MIKE-

I've been in the planning stages for an island in my little kitchen and have been keeping an eye on designs. I have noticed it is almost the rule lately that the island contrasts the cabinetry. Natural wood island with painted cabs, white painted island with cherry cabs, etc. Even many\most with different types of doors and details than the cabinets.
I have maple cabs and think I'll go with a white island. It will compliment my white built-ins and fireplace surround in the adjoining living room and baseboards throughout.

as one needs the right space to pull it off. Read: LOTS of room.
On 9/22/10 7:51 PM, Robatoy wrote:

All that sunlight helps, too.
--

-MIKE-

On 9/22/2010 3:59 PM, Robatoy wrote:

That is, indeed, a helluva cantilever! :)
Exceptionally well done! ... did you do the cabinets also?
... and face frame cabinets, with a Euro look!!
I'm getting sick of preaching to designers/clients that you _can_ get that "Euro" look with face frame cabinets ( ... I _hate_ frameless, everything to do with them!)
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010

That particular type of granite (Ice Brown) has a wild pattern to it and is therefore very fissure prone. The stonecutter that I have used for years, now lays up an aramid fibre web underneath the whole slab which gives it excellent strength, but in one direction only, like a flat tambour. You could pick up the slab at four corners and have somebody jump on the middle without a problem. Take the corbels away, and it could just flop over without a whole lot of help...maybe. It's that maybe we try to stave off.

Why thank you, kind sir.
Yes and no. My spec, my methods, all 32 mm, in my old, old shop. I NGR'd the island bits and nitro/cat lacquered it. I subbed out the white. Others assembled and I supervised the install.

I sure like that combo too, and I will get you some detail pics on how we did some of that. Faceframe is furniture.

Frameless has its place. Cheap and dirty and fast. Front-end capitalization to do it competitively is a bit steep, stuff like edge- banders and all that frickin trimming. And, unless you used pvc pre- coloured, you still need to finish all those edges. The shit has no class.

Beautiful.

Thank you.
"Robatoy" wrote:

That cantilever exceeds my long term pucker factor by a bunch.
Hope everybody is still happy a couple of years from now.
Lew

3" x 8" x 8" solid maple brackets x 4 anchored in the solid backs of the side cabinets. I have no worries. This also isn't my first rodeo, Lew =0)
"Robatoy" wrote:

Lew =0) ------------------------ It's the sailor in me.
Murphy lives.<G>
Lew

Very Nice! I especially appreciate the island. My wife and I just got the ball rolling for our new home, she gets the sewing studio in the loft, I get the 3 car shop.
But back to the island, our kitchen and bathrooms will have the same dark almost black cabinets and a salt and pepper granite counter top in the kitchen.
Now I know how that is going to look. ;~)
On Wed, 22 Sep 2010 16:59:19 -0400, Robatoy

Congrats on your re'tarment.
What are you doing in the CNC realm so far, Toy?
-- Some people hear voices. Some see invisible people. Others have no imagination whatsoever.