Finished it today. (Last kitchen)

No more after this. As a favour to Angela's bestest friend (and here I thought that was me) I got involved with this project and saw it to its completion. Monday I installed the corbels in the island as I was going over my limit of granite overhang. Today I stuck in the 525 pound granite island, mounted the sinks and seamed the quartz on the L-shape.

my orders are filled, just taking cnc projects from now on. I might take on a vanity or something challenging.

Then I am going to try my hand at some of these designs...damn they make beautiful things:

Robatoy

"Robatoy" wrote

Max

Reply to
Max

If someone told me they were going to make a black kitchen island, I would make a very funny face. Having seen yours, my preconception goes right down that drain in its corner.

Beautiful work, my friend.

Reply to
-MIKE-

Exceptionally well done! ... did you do the cabinets also?

... and face frame cabinets, with a Euro look!!

I'm getting sick of preaching to designers/clients that you _can_ get that "Euro" look with face frame cabinets ( ... I _hate_ frameless, everything to do with them!)

Reply to
Swingman

Reply to
SonomaProducts.com

I've been in the planning stages for an island in my little kitchen and have been keeping an eye on designs. I have noticed it is almost the rule lately that the island contrasts the cabinetry. Natural wood island with painted cabs, white painted island with cherry cabs, etc. Even many\most with different types of doors and details than the cabinets.

I have maple cabs and think I'll go with a white island. It will compliment my white built-ins and fireplace surround in the adjoining living room and baseboards throughout.

Reply to
SonomaProducts.com

Hope everybody is still happy a couple of years from now.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

That particular type of granite (Ice Brown) has a wild pattern to it and is therefore very fissure prone. The stonecutter that I have used for years, now lays up an aramid fibre web underneath the whole slab which gives it excellent strength, but in one direction only, like a flat tambour. You could pick up the slab at four corners and have somebody jump on the middle without a problem. Take the corbels away, and it could just flop over without a whole lot of help...maybe. It's that maybe we try to stave off.

Why thank you, kind sir.

Yes and no. My spec, my methods, all 32 mm, in my old, old shop. I NGR'd the island bits and nitro/cat lacquered it. I subbed out the white. Others assembled and I supervised the install.

I sure like that combo too, and I will get you some detail pics on how we did some of that. Faceframe is furniture.

Frameless has its place. Cheap and dirty and fast. Front-end capitalization to do it competitively is a bit steep, stuff like edge- banders and all that frickin trimming. And, unless you used pvc pre- coloured, you still need to finish all those edges. The shit has no class.

Reply to
Robatoy

Thankee, Max!

I love that style. Nicest look I have seen in a long time. It can even co-exist with Mission/Metropolitan styles, imho.

Reply to
Robatoy

Thank you, Mike. But rest assured that your apprehension is very valid as one needs the right space to pull it off. Read: LOTS of room.

Reply to
Robatoy

Thank you.

Reply to
Robatoy

All that sunlight helps, too.

Reply to
-MIKE-

3" x 8" x 8" solid maple brackets x 4 anchored in the solid backs of the side cabinets. I have no worries. This also isn't my first rodeo, Lew =3D0)
Reply to
Robatoy

the side cabinets. I have no worries. This also isn't my first rodeo, Lew =0)

------------------------ It's the sailor in me.

Murphy lives.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Very Nice! I especially appreciate the island. My wife and I just got the ball rolling for our new home, she gets the sewing studio in the loft, I get the 3 car shop.

But back to the island, our kitchen and bathrooms will have the same dark almost black cabinets and a salt and pepper granite counter top in the kitchen.

Now I know how that is going to look. ;~)

Reply to
Leon

Or a New Age meets Craftsman.

One of my favorites:

people hear voices. Some see invisible people. Others have no imagination whatsoever.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Congrats on your re'tarment.

What are you doing in the CNC realm so far, Toy?

-- Some people hear voices. Some see invisible people. Others have no imagination whatsoever.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

He is amazing. A little bizzy for my tastes, but beautiful stuff still.

Maybe he's related to Neil. (who was in town, yes Sarnia, recently and proceeded to blow 22,000 people away.)

Reply to
Robatoy

Thank you.

A few hundred round plastic discs with holes and numbers for some farmer who is going to hang them off a bunch of cattle's ears.

Then a 4' x 8' image of a cartoon-like bee for a honey place and a

64' (feet) sign for same out of plexi. Then a bunch of 32 mm panels. Tomorrow a coat of arms in 3D. Then build another one of these plasma stands:
Robatoy

Really nice guy too. Offers lots of classes at other peoples facilities and shares all of his knowledge and secrets.

Reply to
SonomaProducts.com