Finished in time...

After 110 pleasurable hours in the shop, I finished my daughters jewelry box a few weeks ago. She opened it on Christmas day, and was very happy. The most rewarding moment was just seeing her expression.

What better hobby is there when you can enjoy designing and building something, then make someone else happy by giving it to them.

Todd the wood junkie

That's one beautiful jewellery box. How old is your daughter? You know right, that one day, she will pass it on to her daughter?

Reply to
Upscale

"Todd the wood junkie" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@c13g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:

Wow, very nice! What's the primary wood? It looks a little like some red elm I've used. Are the handles and legs ebony?

You bet!

Reply to
Nate Perkins

Wow. Show us more, please. The top; the insides, all of it?

Thanks,

-jbb

Reply to
J.B. Bobbitt

I agree that nothing beats seeing a loved one open your custom designed and built gift! Incidentally, I think your jewelry box looks very difficult to build beautifully done. What wood did you use?. I designed and built a necklace jewelry box for my wife using black walnut, which I harvested a couple of years ago. My wife was very please with her box and I have since been asked by other family members if I could make one for them (4 more boxes needed). It's a nice problem to have, especially if you are retired and have more time to spend in the workshop.

Doug

Reply to
Doug

Nice job Todd. I recall a couple of times seeing the look on my Mom's face when she got one of my school shop projects.

Reply to
Roger Shoaf

box that wouldn't leave the jewelry in a tangled mass, and you've shown me how. Thank you!

- Owen -

Reply to
Owen Lawrence

The primary wood is honeylocust (milled from a local tree), the dark wood is cocobolo. Inside the top frame and side stripe is Paduak. The mosiac is cocobolo, paduak, honey locust, cherry, and holly. The mosiac is framed with cocobolo then holly to complete the tile.

here are some random shop pics:

level with pull out tray
detail of the second level + drawer pulled out.
only
is a 3rd level shown in random shop pics, under the pullout tray with larger divisions.

Reply to
Todd the wood junkie

That is a beautiful piece of work. Congratulations.

--RC

rcook5

"Todd the wood junkie" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com:

Beautiful. A great job.