Finish trim question

I just bought a 3000 sq Hip roof center hall colonial house. The trim is basically the standard 'colonial' molding, short base, etc. I want to replace it all.

This is a design question. Looking at trim books, etc. Colonial style seems to be that flat style, etc. I would like something with more pop, but not toward victorian style. First question... what style of trim would you recommend I look at i.e. colonial revival, etc. Second question...any pointers to web sites, etc would be great. For some of the rooms I want to do raised panel wainscot and some wall frames etc.

Thanks for your time. By the way, if this is the wrong newsgroup, please let me know.

Reply to
Jack

| replace it all. |=20 | This is a design question. Looking at trim books, etc. Colonial = style=20 | seems to be that flat style, etc. I would like something with more = pop, but=20 | not toward victorian style. First question... what style of trim = would you=20 | recommend I look at i.e. colonial revival, etc. Second question...any =

| pointers to web sites, etc would be great. For some of the rooms I = want to=20 | do raised panel wainscot and some wall frames etc. |=20 | Thanks for your time. By the way, if this is the wrong newsgroup, = please=20 | let me know. |=20 We have a place up here called "North Pole Door and Trim" where I go to = see what kinds of trim are available. Even the local BORG has a good = supply of the usual stuff. Let your fingers do the walking before = applying the gas.

I never, as yet, found any websites that show how to make wainscot. I = just bought a stile and rail set and made my own from oak. If the 3/4 = inch is too thin, you can build up to whatever thickness looks good = using 5/4 3/4" and 1/2" moldings.

My stuff all tends towards what is called classical - Roman Ogee - and = is all oak. All this wainscoting has me now pointed at a kitchen in = cherry with much the same kind of panels.

--=20 PDQ

Reply to
PDQ