finish suggestions

i'm going to finish (topcoat) an oak desk soon -- what do people recommend and why?
www.homesteadfinishing.com used to have an article on selecting a finish.
On 21 Oct 2003 19:28:59 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Bob) wrote:

Bob, Take a look at theis month's Wood Magazine (Nov. 2003, Issue 152), pg 96. Lots of good info. Wish I'd seen it before I did a mediocre job on a bathroom cabinet. Grumble.     mahalo,     jo4hn