Finish suggestions

I need finish suggestions for a useful project I completed today.
Should I allow it to build a patina with use, or stain and age it from the get go?
I don't want to mess it up, as the project was completed entirely with hand tools on locally grown wood. They don't just hand these things out at paint stores!
<
http://www.bburke.com/wood/project.jpg
Thanks! Barry

Nice work! Did you make it from plans? The wrong finish can diminish the value also. I'd go natural and let it build a patina. Anything else is too risky IMO.

I compared several plans, took measurements from store bought versions, and developed custom measurements to fit my needs. The wood was specially selected to accentuate the form.
I missed the pointy stick thing, and really felt left out.
Thanks for the kind words, Barry
I think I would like to have a little of the time that you obviously have an abundance of <grin>
Rob When the Lord calls me home, whenever that may be, I will leave with the greatest love for this country of ours and eternal optimism for its future. ~Ronald Reagan

I'd put some paint on it!
I see this as a perfect candidate for a premium David Marks finish. As I recall, he starts with a sealer, then a few partially overlapping color coats, than some textured gilding, followed by application of caustic agents, then brushing and scraping, and finally a couple clear top coats for protection. I understand a complete finish can take weeks or months to complete...
--
JeffB
remove no.spam. to email
JeffB wrote:

Gilding...
I never thought of that.
Barry
B a r r y says...

But to protect the beauty of the gilding, you will want to cover it with a thick coat of flat white latex. Don't use the eggshell colors as it will dissolve the gold.
B a r r y wrote:

I was gonna suggest chrome plating but gilding might be even classier.     j4
jo4hn wrote:

Yeah... I think we've got a winner!
Gilding may be a little classier, but if you go with chrome, you could wire that sumbitch for 220.
Anyone have an opinion on that?

Ba r r y wrote:

I can't believe some of the cretins who've given you advice on this. Anything less than a coat of BLO followed by French polishing with the finest Paddylac Superblonde would be an insult to a piece like that.
I'm surprised they didn't just tell you to slather some fruitwood stain on it and cover it in poly or even *gasp* PAINT the thing.
Chuck Vance (oh the humanity)