Finish question

First .. i have refinished hundreds of pieces and have used grain fillers , lacquer and once & a while poly . I use spray equipment .

I have a very huge antique oak buffet here now that someone had refinished . Very professional strip job was done and stain color very good. I cant tell what was used for a finish . Whatever it was it had to be wiped on because it almost looks dry and nothing on the surface .

Beyond figuring out what that ?finish is my problem is the grain was not filled at all and collects dust in the pits . This piece has massive carvings all over it making it impossible to do any kind of grain filling . Are there any techniques these days to possibly do this without having to strip it again . My first thought was to clean it real good and apply repeated finish till its better .. i cant rub out those carvings .

Thanks .

Reply to
Ken G.