finish on western red cedar?

just finished a planter made of western red cedar(plan called for redwood) should I put any finish on it? I live in central Maryland

Len

Reply to
Leonard Shapiro

As a builder, I prefer to either paint it with an exterior trim paint, or leave it totally unfinished down here on the Gulf Coast.

All natural finishes applied to WRC, like stains with and without topcoat, that we have attempted to use have all turned unsatisfactory after two or three years, without exception.

Just my experience ... YMMV.

Reply to
Swingman

I would apply a finsih, Just to help repel water, it will last longer. i would use a polyerene made for outdoor use. I have some information on outdoor projects on my web site.

Randy

randyswoodshoop

I like Olympic Maximum Cedar Tint on that wood.

**
**

B A R R Y