finish on butcher block question

Working up some oak scrap cutoffs into butcher blocks. What is a safe finish?
-- DavisWoodShop

For red oak? None that I know of as it is not a good material. White oak should be OK with mineral oil. \Ed
Traditional "finish" for butcher blocks is salted tallow or lard, depending on what was cut upon it last.
Of course, traditionalists wouldn't use a splintery wood like oak, either. Those rays are natural points of cleavage.
Mineral oil is light grease from a different source, and less the salt, a shelter for bacteria with lipid cell walls.
wrote in message

http://pages.cthome.net/edhome
Different health department stuff. We worked 35 years ago in NY with the old standard, salting the block every night.
Were you a member of the now defunct AMBWU (Amalgamated Meat-Cutters and Butcher Workers Union) ? Always loved that name.

put