Finish Nailer, which?

Probably going to open a can of worms here but here goes. If you were going to own one finish nailer (under $200) for "occasional" home shop and just general "occasional" light duty home improvement use which would it be?? RM~

Reply to
Rob Mills

You've already got a compressor? If so, just go to Harbor Freight and get what you need for much, much less than $200. I'm really thinking about getting a Dewalt cordless nailer, but that'll set you back ~$400. Very, very convenient.

JP

Reply to
Jay Pique

I like Porter Cable. They are quality, not as good as Senco, but half the price. There are several models depending on your specific applications. I have the Porter Cable BN200A which can drive a variety of brad sizes.

Reply to
Phisherman

Ditto ... my PC finish nailer is a work horse. The only problem I have with it is when I shoot all the nails and think it's still loaded. Other than that, it is pretty damn hard to beat.

Reply to
Swingman

I _love_ my Senco FP41XP. On sale at Amazon for $199.

Reply to
Art Greenberg

I bought the Porter Cable FN250B. It was capable of using the widest amount of nail lengths for the projects that I was working on at the time.

Reply to
Upscale

Nailers are like planes--you can't own just one.

I use a 15ga angle nailer, an 18ga straight finish nailer, a 1/4" crown stapler, and in a couple of days a 23ga pin nailer.

IF you want it for baseboards and crown molding, get the 15 ga instead of the 18 ga.

Dave

Reply to
David

I forgot: all of them are Porter Cable, including my framing nailer (I left that out, because that's probably not what you are looking for), with the exception of the Cadex pinner. All the PC nailers I have work fine for me. No jams, they sink the nails in below the surface, and I don't mind adding a couple of drops of oil to them no and again.

Dave

Reply to
David

I have 2, an oil free 15ga and a 'grease at your own risk' 16ga. I highly recommend ANY finish nailer that is oil free. The 'occasional used like me can sometimes over oil these puppies ending up with oil stains on the wood. So I rarely trust my oiled 16ga and always use my oil free 15ga on the good stuff. I've also found 15ga nails don't go nuts as often as the thinner 16ga and make UTurns at the slightest whiff of a knot.

Reply to
jimmy

i have a hitachi 2" 18 gauge brad nailer which i got factory reconditioned for $80. love it.

Reply to
marson

Except that is NOT a Finish Nailer.

Reply to
jimmy

technically, no. but for the occasional home shop user trying to save a buck, the distinction is probably not important.

Reply to
marson

Thanks to all who have replied but am still somewhat confused and am going through the same bit of confusion I had before I purchased a framing nailer several years ago. I am sort of prejudiced to Porter Cable because I already have a FC350 and it's been a jewel. I notice that you can get a DA250B/re-built direct from Porter Cable for $129. Has anyone had any experience with re-builds? RM~

Reply to
Rob Mills

On 4/14/2006 11:44 AM Rob Mills mumbled something about the following:

Harbor Freight

Reply to
Odinn

Reply to
Rob Mills

HUGE difference. A finish nailer is a Real nail with holding strength on it's own that comes in

2.5 inch lengths and has many more uses around the home than a brad nailer. I hardly touch my brad nailer anymore as a result. A finish nailer makes the best third hand you can ever have. It is super light weight. If you have ever struggled with big lumber like framing, decking, etc by yourself a finish nailer is perfect for tacking shit in place before you bring out the framing nailer or screws.

Great tool IMO.

Reply to
jimmy

I bought a refurb P-C brad nailer from Woodcraft for $49. I haven't used it very much yet, but it seems fine. P-C refurbs do come with a warranty.

Reply to
Art Greenberg

Reply to
Rob Mills

Reply to
Rob Mills

On 4/14/2006 5:08 PM Rob Mills mumbled something about the following:

Closest HF to me is about 40 or so miles and hard to get to. I only go there if I happen to be in the neighborhood, which is almost never. I used to order from the web, but I can't seem to figure out how to do that since they changed their website.

Reply to
Odinn