Finish Nailer, which?

Page 1 of 4

Probably going to open a can of worms here but here goes. If you were going to own one finish nailer (under $200) for "occasional" home shop and just general "occasional" light duty home improvement use which would it be?? RM~
Rob Mills wrote:

You've already got a compressor? If so, just go to Harbor Freight and get what you need for much, much less than $200. I'm really thinking about getting a Dewalt cordless nailer, but that'll set you back ~$400. Very, very convenient.
JP

I like Porter Cable. They are quality, not as good as Senco, but half the price. There are several models depending on your specific applications. I have the Porter Cable BN200A which can drive a variety of brad sizes.
"Phisherman" wrote in message

Ditto ... my PC finish nailer is a work horse. The only problem I have with it is when I shoot all the nails and think it's still loaded. Other than that, it is pretty damn hard to beat.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 12/13/05
On Fri, 14 Apr 2006 10:44:14 -0500, Rob Mills wrote:

I _love_ my Senco FP41XP. On sale at Amazon for $199.
--
Art

I bought the Porter Cable FN250B. It was capable of using the widest amount of nail lengths for the projects that I was working on at the time.
Rob Mills wrote:

I use a 15ga angle nailer, an 18ga straight finish nailer, a 1/4" crown stapler, and in a couple of days a 23ga pin nailer.
IF you want it for baseboards and crown molding, get the 15 ga instead of the 18 ga.
Dave
Rob Mills wrote:

left that out, because that's probably not what you are looking for), with the exception of the Cadex pinner. All the PC nailers I have work fine for me. No jams, they sink the nails in below the surface, and I don't mind adding a couple of drops of oil to them no and again.
Dave

I highly recommend ANY finish nailer that is oil free. The 'occasional used like me can sometimes over oil these puppies ending up with oil stains on the wood. So I rarely trust my oiled 16ga and always use my oil free 15ga on the good stuff. I've also found 15ga nails don't go nuts as often as the thinner 16ga and make UTurns at the slightest whiff of a knot.
i have a hitachi 2" 18 gauge brad nailer which i got factory reconditioned for $80. love it.

Except that is NOT a Finish Nailer.
technically, no. but for the occasional home shop user trying to save a buck, the distinction is probably not important.

HUGE difference. A finish nailer is a Real nail with holding strength on it's own that comes in 2.5 inch lengths and has many more uses around the home than a brad nailer. I hardly touch my brad nailer anymore as a result. A finish nailer makes the best third hand you can ever have. It is super light weight. If you have ever struggled with big lumber like framing, decking, etc by yourself a finish nailer is perfect for tacking shit in place before you bring out the framing nailer or screws.
Great tool IMO.
What are you talking about?

On 4/14/2006 4:25 PM marson mumbled something about the following:

Technically, no, WHAT??
The distinction between what and what?
What are you talking about?
If you quoted the person you were responding to, it might be easier to figure this out.
--
Odinn
RCOS #7 SENS BS ???

LOL! You're the dumbass using filters.

At one point I figured you just had a love-hate thing for Lee Valley tools. I see now that your life in all respects consists of being a low life troll. Wouldn't be surprised if your dog bit you in the butt every morning just out of spite.

Didn't you recently tell me YOU were nothing more than a low life troll?
On 4/15/2006 2:10 AM snipped-for-privacy@replying.to.a.twit mumbled something about the following:

I'm not using filters, you stupid fuck.
--
Odinn
RCOS #7 SENS BS ???

Then you're just dumb or ignorant of how news readers work. Use the reference message ID in the 'non quoting poster's' header to bring up and read the post to which he is referring. If your news reader doesn't allow this, get a better news reader.