Finish Nailer Recommendations

Harbor Freight sells mostly crappy tools and some good ones. "Chicago" is crappy. Porter Cable is good, IMO.

Depends a great deal on the tool. I bought a cheap "Chicago Electric" 18v cordless drill as my first cordless tool. It was primarily to drive screws for the deck I was building. Stripped it's gears before I finished the deck. My son had a similar experience with the same model drill. On the other hand, a real cheap "Chicago Electric" 4-1/2 angle grinder has been going strong now for several years. But, I don't use it for hours a day, day in, day out.
So, it's kind of hit or miss. I generally consider HF tools to be single shot "use 'em up and throw 'em away" tools for a specific or unique project that doesn't have an ongoing requirement.

I would and did buy the HF. No complaints and If i had to pay the prices for the "name brands" I wouldn't be using pneumatic nailers. (Well, maybe used ones) Even many of the "name brands" nailers are made in China or Taiwan.
--
For every complicated, difficult problem, there is a simple, easy
solution that does not work.

For sure the 16 & 18 gauge brad nailers do, also the 1/4" 18 ga narrow crown stapler and 1/2" crown 20 gauge stapler.
--
Often wrong, never in doubt.

There are basically only two types of finish nails available for the common brands, so it is quite likely that HF nailers will work with one of them. The two types are the angle collated and straight collated. If the HF nailer you have chosen has an angled nail cartridge, then you need the angle collated type DA nails. If it has a nail cartridge that it parallel with the handle, then it uses the straight collated nails.
Lowes has a chart available that shows which nails work with the common brands of nailers, but it is sadly incomplete as it doesn't even list my Porter Cable DA250, which uses the angle collated finish nails. I have found, however, that it will work fine with all of the angle collated brands of nails that I've found to be readily available in the BORGs.
--
Charley