Finish Nailer Recommendations

Page 1 of 2
I need to purchase a finish nailer for attaching baseboards and door and window trim. I have heard that the Harbor Freight nailers are actually good. Is this true? What would *you* buy?
Thanks, Harvey

Bought a Senco FinishPro 41XP. Would buy it again in a flash. nice gun. Review > http://www.onlinetoolreviews.com/reviews/sencoxp41.htm
--
Regards,

Dean Bielanowski
I have a half dozen Senco nailers, brad, and staplers and love them except the SFN30 nailer, it regulary double or tripple taps and it's real hard to get out three nails in the same hole. May just need a tune-up who knows...

Follow-up: I send mail to Senco about the multiple firing and they are sending me a "single sequential triger" for free. Great service!
I recal the documentation aobut the touch trigger, a feature, but in my application it seemed a bit too sensitive and the recoil caused multiple taps.
Thanks again Senco! m

Would you say a bit more about this, please? What is a "single equential triger"? What did the gun come with?
I missed that your post was about the sfn30. As I posted elsewhere I had all but decided on this gun, mostly due to its size and weight. Glad you posted this when you did!
Harvey
MrM wrote:

I have a Paslode Mustang that works fine for me. Senco has good stuff. Even Bostich has worked fine. Pawn shop shopping to support the local crack addicts can be a way to save money if you do not have ethical issues with possibly stolen merchandise.

Have a Porter Cable and a Craftsman and the Harbor Freight. The HF hasn't been used since I bought the PC. Even the Craftsman is better than the HF. Don't get me wrong the HF works, but the fit and finish and feel is so much nicer on the PC. The only way I can describe it is that it works easier, more smoothly than the HF. Just my two cents. Hope it helps. bc
eclipsme wrote:

Porter Cable DA250B ($169)... You heard wrong about HF.
eclipsme wrote:

gauge may be enough, but I like the 'suck' I get with the 16 gauge Paslode. A bit more filler.. but you're filling anyway.
A tip I learned here, and one of the most wonderful timesavers EVAR. Shoot your nails through a piece of masking tape. Then apply the filler. Then remove tape.
Which reminds me, and I think I will start a new header... what are some of the BEST tips people have learned here?
Robatoy wrote:

Nice tip. Thanks. Harvey
No personal experience with HF. However I sold a tablesaw to a local fellow who had transitioned from aircraft worker to finish carpenter after a layoff. Said he started with a couple of HF nailers, two years before, to keep costs down but was hesitant to carry them onto job sites. He planned to move up to name-brand nailers when they crapped out but they won't. He showed them to me and both looked pretty worn; but he said they seldom missed a lick.
He also noticed one other finisher carrying a HF nailer around in a Dewalt bag. Vanity!
RonB
eclipsme wrote:

Senco, but a reviewer said that it takes it's own nails and that they can be hard to come by. That said, I am now thinking of the DeWalt D51275K.
Comments?
Harvey
On Tue, 31 Oct 2006 13:42:36 -0500, eclipsme wrote:

What Senco takes custom nails? I have a FinishPro 41XP, and I really like it. Can get 15ga. nails for it anywhere.
--
Art Greenberg
artg at eclipse dot net
Art Greenberg wrote:

I have (2) Senco nailers and a Senco stapler that all accept the same nails as my Porter Cable guns.
B A R R Y wrote:

Thanks, it looks like I stand corrected.
Harvey
Art Greenberg wrote:

"One thing to note is the nails are specific to this gun, so make sure you can get nails at a price that's affordable to you."
And yes, he was talking about the 41XP.
So, are the various sizes available at HD?
Harvey
I have the PC 15 guage finish nailer. It is MUCH larger than the 16 guage nailer but it does a nice job. I use the Senco 15 guage nails in it. 15 guage nails are more expensive than 16 guage nails, but I am not a finish carpenter, so a box of nails lasts a very long time.
On Tue, 31 Oct 2006 15:07:30 -0500, eclipsme wrote:

Many sizes, yes. Perhaps not all.
I've even seen the stainless steel versions there.
--
Art Greenberg
artg at eclipse dot net

Harvey,
Be careful on the Dewalt. Our local repair shop says to buy anything but a Dewalt. There favorite was Hitachi.
cm