Finish nailer recommendation

Looking to back burner my dewalt D51256 16 ga. straight finish nailer. It's got to the point it needs some work (which i will probably have done anyway) but I'm thinking I'd rather have an angled 15 or 16 ga nailer. Cordless or pneumatic would be entertained. Mostly for nailing up 1x material as baseboard or window trim, some lighter work such as crown molding. Which ones do you folks have and like?

thanks

Reply to
Steve Barker

Paslode Trimpulse. Unless you're doing true crank-it-out production work, it's all you'll ever need.

RicodJour

R,

thanks for the reply.

I'm not seeing the "tri" part. You talking cordless or hosed? got a link?

Reply to
Steve Barker

I needed a nailer for installing lots of trim, but also wanted a brad nailer for smaller projects. So I got a Bostitch combo pack that included the SB-1664FN and SB-1850BN nailers. I have used them both a lot more than I thought I would and they have performed flawlessly. I learned to stick with Bostitch or Grip-Tite nails and brads because other brands don't work as well. They're not angled, but I haven't had a need for that so far. It's interesting how many uses I find for these that I hadn't thought of before.

John S.

Reply to
John Shear

I don't know about that name, either, I'd presume he's speaking of the battery-powered...

Don't own one; used one some. OK, somewhat finicky on cleanliness/maintenance ime.

The propellant packs aren't terribly expensive but will only do 1000 or so nailings/each. That's probably not too bad for homeowner use but will begin to add up in continuous use.

The one report I've heard that I can't verify other than word-of-mouth from instructor of building trades at local trade school is that the cartridge lifetime is limited if not used so if it's the case of use it then it sits for six months or a year before again the cartridge(s) left may be found of less than full capacity...

I've an old Bostitch that keeps on truckin'...it's hosed. Not sure what current models are, even.

I'd ask why you would say "get it done" on repairing the one on hand, though? There's nothing to one other than replacing the trigger kit or the head kit, basically...

Reply to
dpb

I'm probably leaning towards a hosed model anyway. As for the dewalt, well, 1. i never really liked that straight thing anyway, 2. They can't fix it for a few days, and 3. I need it tomorrow. The dewalt is leaving a hole in the wood, but not countersinking the nail. The guys at the rental place i use say the pins get worn and they have to have theirs fixed every so often also. And the exhaust is a pure nuisance if not downright dangerous. It seems no matter which way you turn it, you forget and the next thing you know it's trying to blow your eye out of its socket. Interesting you mentioned Bostitch, i just purchased (and have not used yet) a bostitch floor stapler. The HD guy made me a deal after they fixed my white/red oak flooring ordeal last week.

Reply to
Steve Barker

i may have misunderstood your question there at the end. Are you suggesting that i could just fix it myself? As for the problem, i described that in the other reply. They're talking $95 MAX to go through it. Is the driver pin something i could do without hurting myself?

Reply to
Steve Barker

Thanks for the input, John. I'll be looking into the Bostitch units.

Reply to
Steve Barker

On 7/13/2012 12:22 PM, Steve Barker wrote: ...

Well, I can't speak for you, but with any modicum of mechanical aptitude at all, I'd say "sure". :)

I've done many times on the wife's upholstery staplers that are much harder on pins as well as at least once on the Bostitch framing nailer for similar issues...the finish nailer has had nothing except one trigger kit for the o-ring...

Ya' takes it apart, then puts it back together w/ the new pieces... :)

Reply to
dpb

Cordless.

do a lot of different work in a lot of different areas and work by myself - I think you do, too, right? Setting up and breaking down hoses and a compressor every day is a pain in the ass for me. If you have a gofer do it for you, maybe it's not such an issue, but whether I'm sweeping or swatting I figure I'm making the same per hour either way, and setup/breakdown time I find annoying.

There's a little bit of maintenance to the things, same as anything else that you want to keep in good condition. Someone mentioned the shelf-life of the gas cartridges, and that is an issue, particularly in cold weather. IIRC, that's not as much of an issue for you.

I've had the gun for years, so there very possibly are other choices that are better. I won't know until this one dies and I have to start shopping for a new one. BTW, Paslode has demo days at lumberyards and home centers around here. At those things they often extend a very respectable credit towards a new gun if you turn in the old one. They gave me $100 for an _original_ Paslode Impulse gun - thing must've been ten years old at least and was no longer working. I believe they also offer the credit for competitors guns, so check that out before you shell out the shekels.

RicodJour

BTW there is also a new type of cordless, a Senco if I remember; that has a permenanetly charged cell, and a battery.

It doesn't require spin up time like the Dewalt cordless. I had read about them a year or 2 ago and they received very good reviews.

No replac> >>

Reply to
tiredofspam

In have a Senco SFN1 which I bought in 1989. I have had it rebuilt one time and I would not trade it. It just feel right.

Reply to
Leon

I have a Bostich 15 gage oil-less and a Porter Cable 18 gage and would recommend either. The Porter Cable is about 13-14 years old, has seen a lot of use and is starting to look kinda rough but it is still quite reliable. The 15 gage is about four years old and has finished a complete house plus other projects. Either would be fine in a home shop.

Reply to
RonB

Cordless is the most convenient *IF* you can handle the weight of a cordless nail gun with its battery. Sold my DeWalt 9 lb cordless a few months back. My arm sure is happier with a 4.5 lb Porter Cable and quiet compressor.

Reply to
Dave

The Paslode is

Reply to