Finish nailer problem

I have a Grizzly G6049 angled finish nailer that keeps skipping firing occasionally and then lodging a nail halfway in and halfway out. At first it happened on 2 inch nails only, but lately it is happening on all lengths. I have to disconnect, unjam the gun and push the driver back down. This happens every 3 to 8 shots with the 3 being 2 inch nails and the 8 being 1.5 inchers.

I was thinking this may be a compressor problem towards the low end of the psi range it is factory set at(70 psi) but it is happening up to 80 psi. I guess the compressor, a Grizzly 2.5 hp. G8889 might have a really bad gauge, but it would have to be off by 10-15 lbs since the gun operates at 70-125 per the specs.

Any opinions as to whether this is a gun problem or a compressor problem? The compressor cannot be set higher than 70 at the low end.

Or maybe it's a combination of both not doing so well?

Any ideas appreciated.

RonT

Reply to
Ron Truitt

Ron:

Unless the pressure gets REALLY low, the gun will still operate. Some of the framers and utility nailers won't function 100%, but with trim guns this usually isn't the case. BTW, you can usually a few extra pounds by adjusting the pressure switch - pull the cover off and you will probably find a paper label telling you how you change the screw setting to change the point it switches off and on.

Back to the guns. Some guns have return springs inside that wear out or break. While they stay in their correct position so the pieces will not chew up the inside of the cylinder, they do not operate properly.

Before you check that out, make sure the inside of the gun head is really clean. Clean with a small wire brush and something like mineral oil. DO NOT use an oil base lubricant such 3 in 1, or any other type of household oil or lubricant as it can contribute to the dissolution of your cylinder/trigger seals. (This is why air nailers use specific lubes and oils).

Many times my guns need a really good cleaning to get the residual glue from the nails off the head mechanism and they are fine. If not, take the gun apart and look for something internal.

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

I hope to get a compressor HVLP paint gun and nail gun(s) shortly -- so =

the lesson is really appreciated.

Thank you.

--=20 Will R. Jewel Boxes and Wood Art

power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those=20 who have not got it.=94 George Bernard Shaw

Reply to
WillR

Well it sounds like a recoil problem. You may want to be sure that the gun is not bouncing away from the wood when you shoot. Secondly I shoot my Senco gun at about 110#'s. 70 # sounds quite low and can also cause this problem. The specs of you gun operating at 70# should be for thinner woods, softer woods, or shorter nails.

Reply to
Leon

On Sun, 4 Sep 2005 14:27:04 -0500, the blithe spirit snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (Ron Truitt) clearly indicated:

Disassemble the gun, looking for dirt and bent pieces of mechanism. Now clean it thoroughly, replacing bent and worn parts. Oil all pieces as you reassemble unless instructions say otherwise. Put it back together and see if it still skipfires.

.-. Better Living Through Denial ---

Wondrous Website Design

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Thanks guys. I'll look into the gun cleaning. I might also rent a finish nailer and see if it does it also. I have a feeling my psi on the compressor lowers to fast and then waits too long to recover.

RonT

Reply to
Ron Truitt

On Sun, 4 Sep 2005 22:35:12 -0500, the blithe spirit snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (Ron Truitt) clearly indicated:

In that case, add air capacity. Install a few 5-gal freon tanks or the $30 air tanks from the current Schucks auto parts store ads. Discharge air until the compressor kicks on and tank refills, then shoot nails. You can run at higher pressures for longer times with more air storage, Ron.

.-. Better Living Through Denial ---

Wondrous Website Design

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I think it would be cheaper and easier to simply have the pressure regulator recalibrated.

Reply to
Leon