Finish Help

Building a corner cabinet from plan (Rockler) and using birch plywood for the main body and oak for the doors and front. Would like some ideas for the stain/finish of this project as this is my first try at furniture.

Waterlox. SH
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (GeraldR916) wrote in

If you bought the plan in the Rockler retail store, consider going back there, and talking with one of their staff. Your question can be answered only when a lot more information is exchanged. Like what you expect it to look like when you're done.
Saving your scraps for test pieces is some of the best advice ever offered here.
Patriarch
Savings scraps seconded! Jeff Jewitt has an article about "Selecting a finish" that would probably be of benefit. www.homesteadfinishing.com
On Thu, 18 Nov 2004 17:39:42 GMT, patriarch

Hi Gerald,
First off, like many said - test any finish you decide. Second, look at it under the lighting where the piece will be seen - there is an interesting article in this months "Wood" magazine about the warming & cooling effects of various light sources. I'm sensitive to this since photography is another hobby as was darkroom photo printing - light makes a big difference.
If you are the kind of person that just wants to try something, you might consider what I use for a lot of oak cabinetry in our house.
First, after sanding/vacuuming & tack-ragging, I stain with the minwax oil stain of your choice. Next I apply a thinned coat of shellac (about 1 part Zinnser & 3 parts alcohol). I prefer the orange since I generally use "special walnut" stain and like the warming effect it gives. Sand with 0000 steel wool, vac/tack and apply a finish coat. I have been using wipe on poly for the last few years for household stuff since it holds real well. Repeat the sand/vac/tack/finish until you are pleased with the finish - the more the better. Usually 3 finish coats are enough, but I have applied up to 7 or 8 coats of the gloss (1 per day) and the results are spectacular in my opinion.
Good luck!
Lou