Finish for red oak on stair treads

Page 2 of 3
On 2/19/2012 10:29 AM, dpb wrote:

two (almost) senior adults. Twice a day travel.
--
Steve Barker
Ok, Shellac can water spot, leave an ice cold glass on the floor overnight and you probably will have a water spot.
On 2/19/2012 11:29 AM, dpb wrote:

On 2/19/2012 1:03 PM, tiredofspam wrote:

Leave a wet shoe or a puddle from a snow melt off the kids' overshoes and you _will_ have a white spot.
Fixed can be, yes...more likely to need fixing--also, yes.

Make the kids do the fixing. Won't happen again.
On 2/19/2012 1:03 PM, tiredofspam wrote:

What's the difference in cost?
--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010
On 2/19/2012 2:07 PM, Swingman wrote:

On Sun, 19 Feb 2012 23:27:56 -0500, "Mike Marlow"

Now do you see why I filtered him? </rhetorical question>
-- The ultimate result of shielding men from folly is to fill the world with fools. -- Herbert Spencer
"Larry Jaques" wrote in message wrote:

Now do you see why I filtered him? </rhetorical question> =======================================================Personally, I have never used scotchbrite on poly. I have used a lot of it on steel. Works great for that. Poly must be some tuff stuff.
-- The ultimate result of shielding men from folly is to fill the world with fools. -- Herbert Spencer

Well Mike Marlow, you rascal....
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=scruffing
I assume you are the one using the scotchbrite... right?
I am now hiding behind my desk so you can't get me.
;^)
Robert

Dayum ... went 69 years doing just fine without knowing that. Now I need some mental floss. Ehhh!
--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010

ROTFL! Mike, the quickest fix (to become hetero again) is to remove that damned R. "Scuffing" should suffice for your new word. Should you choose, you could ask a certain someone just how they came to know the meaning of that particular word, hmm? <snort>
-- Every day I remind myself that my inner and outer life are based on the labors of other men, living and dead, and that I must exert myself in order to give in the same measure as I have received and am still receiving. -- Albert Einstein

Well, not being a well traveled or experienced guy, I didn't know what you were talking about.
I thought for years that when the guys said they were getting together with their girlfriends to "hook up" they were taking the boat and trailer out to the lake. Later on, I noticed a pattern of hooking up really late at night with these younsters, and became suspicious.... come to find out they weren't hooking up the boat at all.
So I was thinking that you had flown one right over my head, and I had now missed a vital finishing term, one that would make me a handier guy around the gun. But then.... looked liked those guys were "hooking up" to me. Yikes!!
I just want you to know Mike, I am not being judgmental. To each their own, I say.
Just make sure that when you are getting something hot to drink, that someone doesn't offer to tea bag you... !!!!
Sadly... I am laughing a lot harder about all this than I should.
Robert
On Thu, 23 Feb 2012 02:59:57 -0800 (PST), " snipped-for-privacy@aol.com"

This is fine. You're a good sport, BobRobert.
-- Every day I remind myself that my inner and outer life are based on the labors of other men, living and dead, and that I must exert myself in order to give in the same measure as I have received and am still receiving. -- Albert Einstein

:!) At least you are not "coming out".
On Feb 19, 1:03pm, tiredofspam <nospam.nospam.com> wrote:

If that wasn't rhetorical and you are interested in learning,
http://www.woodweb.com/knowledge_base/Polishing_Polyurethane_to_a_High_Gloss.html
There is a lot of info on how to do it, including articles and opinions of luthiers and others that do just that.
There used to be a picture (may still be) on J. Jewitt's site of how he polished his own waterborne poly to a mirror finish so fine you could read the writing on the can of finish in the image reflection from the table top.
Robert
On 2/18/2012 3:42 PM, Steve Barker wrote:

What all sane floor finishers use ... polyurethane. Follow the instructions on the can.
--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010
On 2/19/2012 10:31 AM, Swingman wrote:

On 2/19/2012 9:54 AM, tiredofspam wrote:

Not necessarily ... plain old wax was a finish of choice for floor finishing at one time.
FWIW, at this point you have well established that you are a proponent of shellac for hardwood floors ... no need to reply to every post that says otherwise ... you can quit now. ;)
--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010
On 2/19/2012 10:15 AM, Swingman wrote:

I seem to recall regular ol' alkyd resin varnish being around for quite a few years before poly hit the scene. Pretty much the same stuff as today's "Rock Hard Tabletop Varnish", if I'm not mistaken.

Behlen's Rock Hard = phenolic resin. Nice stuff.