Finish for Plywood Pukey Pig?

I'm making a sandwich board for a guy that does barbecue catering. I've already made (at least) one mistake and used Marine Grade Plywood (MGP?) instead of Medium Density Overlay (MDO) so it's likely the face veneer will crack and let in water much more quickly than the plastic on MDO. Oh well.

I have a woman who is going to do the artwork but she doesn't know what's best for exterior signs. Right now my plan is to seal the plywood with something, then let her do her thing with some type of oil based paint, and then I'll *really* seal it with something (else?). I've just started googling but figured I'd post to see if anyone in the know has got their ears on. Initial sealer? Type of paint for the artwork? Final UV/weatherproofing? Grassyass.

JP

Reply to
Jay Pique

I've never seen any MDO that had anything that could be described as, "Plastic" as the outer layer. I just used a scrap piece that had been exposed to some rain. It was a little discolored but still worked for me. There was a little that chipped off of one edge though and I think it's sort of like a very thin MDF layer or some sort of very rigid paper. Obviously water resistant though. There's, "MDO" stamped all over the back of it. But it sure wasn't plastic.

Bruce

Reply to
bennybbc

You are correct. I did a little googling and came up with this...

MDO Plywood - The Paintable General Purpose Panel Characteristics: An EXTERIOR type plywood with a weather-resistant resin overlay bonded to the wood by heat and pressure. This process fuses the molecules of the overlay with the fibres of the wood to form a bond as strong as the wood itself. MDO has all the advantages of regular plywood as well as additional properties. The overlay, which has 28% resin content, resists water, weather, wear and degradation. It has texture that paint can grip with remarkable tenacity. Paint finishes on MDO are up to three times more durable than the same finish applied to ordinary plywood.Ideal for Painted Signs: In many instances, overlaid MDO plywood has proven a more durable sign material than metal. MDO plywood is resistant to the elements with no danger of rust or corrosion.

I wish I'd used it!

JP

Reply to
Jay Pique

Thu, May 11, 2006, 10:30am (EDT-3) snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Jay=A0Pique) doeth mumble: I'm making a sandwich board

Hi Jay. Not back, just cruising by, looking for a post on duct tape that I made, and want to monitor for a day or two, and saw your post.

Not to worrying. It's not like you're making something you want to last forever, like a pukey yard duck.

I've done stuff with plywood that's left outside 24/7/365. Regular plywood worked for me. Any outdoor latex paint should work, but acrylic would probably be best. I think I did go over it with poly, but don't know if it's needed or not. Oh yeah, I didn't use a sealer, but if you're worried about it, you could use latex primer, or just paint it with a coat of latex and go from there. So far, mine's been outside for a number of years, with no prob. It "is" under a slight overhang so it only gets blown on rain - but that was not done intentionally. Rember, houses are painted with latex paint, and they're almost always left outside. No prob.

JOAT To assume is to make an enemy of exactitude.

- Unknown

Reply to
J T

Heh. I just read that post about the wallet and I'm like "hmmmm....maybe I'll go down and grab that new roll of the good 3M stuff and make me a wallet". Then I'm like "hmmmm.....looks like an awful lot of work." So I'm still here at the boob tube.

I went with alkyd primer and I'm going to have her use acrylic to finish it. This won't be outside 24/7/365 so I figure that should last a good long while.

You tryin' to go cold turkey on usenet entirely? Or just the wreck?

JP

Reply to
Jay Pique

Thu, May 11, 2006, 6:31pm (EDT-3) snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Jay=A0Pique) doth put out: Heh. I just read that post about the wallet and I'm like "hmmmm....maybe I'll go down and grab that new roll of the good 3M stuff and make me a wallet". I went with alkyd primer and I'm going to have her use acrylic to finish it. This won't be outside 24/7/365 so I figure that should last a good long while. You tryin' to go cold turkey on usenet entirely? Or just the wreck?

If my dau-in-law hadn't gotten me a new wallet awhile back, I'd probably be using up my roll of duct tape right now, making a wallet.

Here's a pickchur of my Corporate Iggle. Made it probably 10+ years ago. Screwed up and used varnish, it peeled after about 3 years. Repainted it a year or two later, been out there ever since. Holding up nicely.

Still on every day, just not here. Been doin' some major research on a coupla three projects. Been trying to get up with a concrete guy about my shop/garage slab too. He makes appointments, and never shows. Bummer. Finally have the loot available for it and want to get on it. Been clearing some of the kid's excess vehicles out too, and may even be able to start on the Dub reasonably soon. Got excellent deals on two Buick 3.8 turbos (they need rebuilding - of course), and now pondering if I want to go with them, or a lumpy cam instead. Decisions, decisions, decisions. I'll have to fab a custom exhaust anyway so I might's well go with the turbos.

Been getting out an hour or two a day usually, cruisin' in the El Camino. Life is good. LOL C'mon down and I'll give you a ride, and even let you pick the CD to play.

JOAT To assume is to make an enemy of exactitude.

- Unknown

Reply to
J T

Tenacious D. You'll love it. JP

Reply to
Jay Pique

Fri, May 12, 2006, 4:39am (EDT-3) snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Jay=A0Pique) doth put out: Tenacious D. You'll love it.

Never heard of it. I'll probably hate it.

I was meaning MY CDs. Youse got yer choice of classic rock & roll, Scottish bagpipes, Celtic bagpipes, overtures, some Wagner, B. B. King, regaee (?), and something else. MY usual choices are normally bagpipes, overtures, and once in awhile the rock & roll. You know, easy listeing music. Radio listening normally is classical, or bluegrass when that's on.