Finish for outdoor cedar

Hi all, another Newbie question, I'm afraid.

I'm "rebuilding" a gas grill and I have replaced the wooden pieces (Mine has a shelf on each side, the bottom, and one the front) with cedar from the home store.

The look fine to me natural, so I wouldn't paint or stain it. But what would be an apropriate clear topcoat finish for this outdoor piece?

Or do I need anything at all?

Thanks for any ideas.

Jim Pittsburgh PA

Reply to
Jim Helfer

The thing I like most about cedar is it really doesn't need much care and after a season or two the color turns to that wonderful weathered sivlery shade hue. I guess you can use some catalysed spar varnish if you want to seal it up.

or just the occasional douse of mineral oil if you want to keep it looking "wet".

Reply to
J G

Nothing is needed, but you may want to check out Penofin or Cetol to delay the graying over time. They are oils that have UV blockers in them. So does spar varnish or spar poly. Ed snipped-for-privacy@snet.net

Edwin Pawlowski

spar varnish or spar poly will work but will be a little more maintenance than the Cetol. Check out

. It was rated #1 sometime back in ability to retain the natural color over time. Every year or two, you just put another coat on.

Preston

Reply to
Preston Andreas

Thanks everyone ! I'll look at these products and decide from there.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Helfer

I don't understand what the purpose of mineral oil is ?

Reply to
Jim Helfer

I used a spar varnish on my outdoor cedar stuff two years ago, and it is only now beginning to "silver," but only on the bottom, where snow touched it. I had to redo some other drawers this year. They are turned another way, and decided to not bother finishing them; to let them just weather on their own.

Only in a few months, but they've been through some heavy rains and no affect at all.

Reply to
DarylRos