finish for cherry

What finish should i use on a cherry jewelry box ,i live in the UK so some of the terms or products from over the pond i may not be familiar with .TIA F.
I just put on a good varnish (poly) and admire the woods natural beauty. Oh and I do not let it sit in direct sunlight as the darkening affect can be uneven from side to side I do however prior to putting on the poly let it sit in the sun(rotating about very few hours) until it reaches the shade I like.

Most folks consider adding any color to Cherry a crime. Me too.
The October Fine Woodworking Magazine has a nice simple finish that happens to be shown on Cherry. They describe in detail a way to get a good fast finish.
I do a similar finish but ut takes longer.
Sand to 220. Put a single coat of tung oil or biold linseed oil per instructions, just to help increase the contracst in the Cherry and darken it a bit. Then use Shellac. The trick with shellac is to thin it out well and use several thin coats with some 400 or fine grit in between and finally some steel wool and wax.
Obviously, try the finish on extra wood, sanded to the same grit for starters and go all the way to the wax steps to be sure it has the look you want. A hasty finish has ruined more wood projects than any other mis-step.
Me wrote:

yes tung oil then shellac I like to wet sand the last couple coats of shellac by putting down some tung oil then using a wet dry sandpaper. The final step is fine pumice with tung oil before some furniture wax to protect the shellac
the photo doesn't do the box justice but here is a jewelry box I did a couple years ago
http://home.comcast.net/~wskossack/boxes/cherry.html
SonomaProducts.com wrote:

Very nice.
--
Regards,
My favorite finish for cherry, especially items which will not see wear and abuse, is natural Danish oil(brand name here is Watco, but I'm sure there are others over your way). After several days to cure, apply several coats of high quality paste wax. It will positively glow, and virtually foolproof to apply.
Me wrote:

Haven't heard anybody mention a couple coats of decent Sears paint yet.     humph,     jo4hn

For cherry? I'd use a couple of coats of latex paint. :)

Yellow? In the spray cans?
Tim Taylor wrote:

Thanks for the finishing tips the oil sounds good (or yellow and red stripes would look different)one of my boxes is on www.aldel.co.uk its in the photos with the welsh dragon .F