Finish for a kitchen knife block?

Page 2 of 2

Hedley, Hey, that kickback to the start feature came with whatever DVR Charter "gave" me. It's cool. Seems to adjust to whatever fast forward speed you're using. What's "reqind"?
TomNie

Sorry, the "w" is right beside the "q". Of course I meant rewind.
The "An" was also supposed to be "And."
I had assumed it was a Tivo patented feature, but maybe it was licensed out to your DVR manufacturer. I know that the apartment living DVR I had with a cable company (two-tuner model) did not have this feature, and after getting used to it in my last house (DirecTV and Tivo), I missed it a lot.
Then I finally moved into this house from the apartment, got DirecTV and was really pissed that they didn't offer Tivo anymore. Luckily, the POS DVR they gave me broke about 4 months ago and after enough belly-aching to drive DirecTV crazy, they sent me a Tivo. There is now joy in the world.

Hint, mute the sound and let the closed caption display when replaying.
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com says...

I routinely use olive oil as finish on kitchen utensils. Boiled Linseed oil is fine. I lightly cut them with vegetable turpentine for the first application, so they soak in better - the vege turps smell goes quickly. You may well be ok with some of the more exotic oils like Walnut or Grapeseed. Tung oil is a slow curing natural oil that has a strong pungent smell about it (I like it, but it may not be appropriate here). I would avoid sunflower oil at any cost. That DOES go rancid. I personally would also avoid canola. Don't know about the others you mention - ne'er tried.
-P.
Peter Huebner wrote:

I knife block is not a "kitchen utensil". It HOLDS them. They can be finished in shellac, lacquer, poly, whatever. They do NOT need to be "food safe" any more so than a cabinet door.
Dave
On Mon, 10 Jul 2006 20:14:03 -0500, Jim Willemin

I don't think there is any "right" finish. However, for kitchen woodwork, that does not get routinely immersed in water, I use shellac, then several rubbings of soyabean oil. The old saw applies:
Once a day for a week. Once a week for a month. Once a month for a year. Once a year forever.
At least I think it's something like that, I more or less follow it, and it seems to work very well.
Barry Lennox